Thread: Just finished my winter project (2003)

R.A.D.man
    Just finished my winter project (2003)(bought a house in the meantime). Basically, I'm new here but read often and I have been waiting to run this thing so I can join in and discuss. I have the following:
    1972 Sleekcraft Rebel, 18-ft, 455 Olds, Berkeley 12JR with original R intake, loader, bowl, ride plate and shoe. I have installed a new Agressor A mag/bronze impeller, new bronze standard wear ring, new Berkeley droop, new Place hydraulic diverter and 3 1/8" nozzle insert. Boat is a shallow V (IMO) with a very small delta pad leading into the intake. The intake has an aluminum loader ramp that I believe is original and came with the R intake and is made specifically for the R intake.
    Just this weekend, boat ran 71 mph (GPS) at 5400 RPM (new motor too).
    A little history, with the original setup, mild 455 and C cut SS worked over but old impeller (still good), motor ran 5400 RPM and mph was mid 50's even with fresh pump. Then I rebuilt the motor (professionally) and RPM's jumped to 6800 (no cavitation noticed) and mph was very low 60's. Installed thicker shoe and rpm's dropped to 6500 but speed was similar. I know this was too high an rpm for the motor so I installed the bigger impeller (Agressor A) along with the other goodies listed. Boat has been reconditioned top and bottom and no hook is supposed to be present as per a reputable IMO custom boat shop.
    I believe my boat is either very heavy or something is wrong. If it means anything, the boat is rated to carry 10 people or 2000 pounds. I do not know where they would all sit. It is a little boat.
    Effectively, this boat has been mine since 1974, I was only 3 then. For those of you that have seen the pictures of ttmott's boat, this one looks like it came from the same mold but his is not a Rebel. The model name of his escapes me.
    Thanks in advance. I hope this won't hurt too bad!

Ol Yeller
    Where's the pictures?

Squirtin Thunder
    I think you need more trim and less plate. I had a friend years ago that had one of those with a strong BBC and it ran 78mph no ride plate no droop nothing speicial.
    Jim

Foggerjet
    We need pictures! 71 at 5400 sounds pretty respectable to me. Just don't lean on that 455 too much. What cut impeller is on it now? Still a "C"? Seems like the rpm could be a bit lower. I run 70 at 5000-5100 With an "A" in a HEAVY Tahiti. Now, How 'bout those pics?
    fog

R.A.D.man
    Sorry for not having pictures, no digital camera. I need to get on that. I know it is important. I'll try and get some help to post some. kinda why I waited til now to post but summer is getting shorter and I was hoping for some opinions from you guys to play with.
    More trim? I played with the diverter all I could and that was the best speed. Roost is about 5-feet high at top speed. I do have one wedge installed now but not sure of the angle of the cut. I have another one I can add.
    Less plate? Never considered that. The pump is not set back but the shoe opening is about 6-inches in front of the end of the transom. Doesn't seem to be much to ride on without the plate. I did not get the dimensions of the plate but I will. I would have to say it is average. Last time out I looked at the diverter & droop while at about 50mph and it seemed to be just above the water while under way, I guess less than an inch of clearance.
    I also think I need more lift. At max speed, I have just a little spray at the rear corners coming from under the boat. It does not ride high like Squirtcha's avitar. Can a back cut shoe help this? My shoe looks standard.

R.A.D.man
    Fogger, it is a new Agressor A right now at 5400 RPM. Used to be a cleaned up C and when the new motor went in it really twisted too high at up to 6800. I have pulled it down since and checked and repalced rod bearings just for grins. They had a little wear but not bad for what thay had done rpm wise on a olds. I was able to run the snot out of it at 6500 with the C cut and thicker shoe and it never was hurt. I was suprised and happy, my engine builder had a funny look on his face when he rode in it it like he was just waiting for it to come apart but it has not.