Thread: CAM BREAK-IN

mickeyfinn
    I have heard that you should not go above 2500 rpms for the first hour or so in order to break the cam in. Is there a minimum RPM that you should try to maintain? Does anyone see anything wrong with breaking the cam in on the trailer? I just don't know if I have the willpower to put it on the water and run for an hour at speeds less than 2500. I know that I will have to keep it cool in the yard but with cam driven pump that is not a problem.

GofastRacer
    mickeyfinn:
    I have heard that you should not go above 2500 rpms for the first hour or so in order to break the cam in. Is there a minimum RPM that you should try to maintain? Does anyone see anything wrong with breaking the cam in on the trailer? I just don't know if I have the willpower to put it on the water and run for an hour at speeds less than 2500. I know that I will have to keep it cool in the yard but with cam driven pump that is not a problem. If you have a roller cam, there's no break in!. If you have a flat, you only need to run it for 20 minutes or so at no less than 2000 revving it up a bit every so often. After break in dump the oil, cut open the filter, if it looks good, put a fresh batch of oil in and take it out and run the shit out of it!.I made a running stand for that but there's nothing wrong with doing it on the trailer, done it many times!. BTW, I use straight 30WT for break in!..Good luck!..

HammerDown
    Flat tappet Cam...Start the motor and bring it up to rpm ASAP...keep the rpm's between 18 and 2200 or there about for at least 15-20 min. The idea is to keep oil splashing up on the cam and lifters. This dosent really happen at idle.(bad)
    I would not run a Jet out of the water/lake /river...for over a minute even with a hose hooked up. Unless there's some way for you to disconect the drive so the jet pump dosent turn...then yes run it all ya like with a hose to the motor, and you can break in the cam that way.
    [ June 08, 2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

Fiat48
    Good idea to also add a pint of GM camshaft break in lifter lube. Cheap insurance.