Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: lightning boats?

johnny8052
    My wife and I are in the market for our first boat. I really like the 21 ultra stealth, but it is a little out of our price range. I found out that lightning branched off from ultra about 3 years ago. I really like their 21 xs with the 496 and is in our price range any info on this company would be a great help. Our other dillema is that we could afford a 24' cheetah for about the same price. Any advice?

cxr133
    doa search here...
    i asked the same question almost a year ago and the results were not posiive.
    i have a friend that owns one and its on ok boat.
    but somewhere there is a recent post from John west of Ultra that he is coming out with a line of affordable Ultra boats (21ft semi-custom) called the classic line. i think you might want to wait for one of these
    IMO

USCFAN
    This should be good. You have just created a monster. :argue:

MOBrien
    My wife and I are in the market for our first boat. I really like the 21 ultra stealth, but it is a little out of our price range. I found out that lightning branched off from ultra about 3 years ago. I really like their 21 xs with the 496 and is in our price range any info on this company would be a great help. Our other dillema is that we could afford a 24' cheetah for about the same price. Any advice?
    tell you what.....the Cheetah in my sig is for sale. Very clean, killer 1500 watt thumpin stereo, brand new gel on bottom done last month, trip axle trailer with chrome fenders & diamond plate steps, brand new bunks and fender guards last month too, 6 new tires on trailer mid-last season, walk through open bow, bimini, optimas totally turn key only 220 hrs. It was our first boat two years ago and it's been nothing but great to us. Just time to move on. Regularly serviced by Boatmasters in Dublin, CA 3 times in last 115 hrs. PM me if your interested. It's purple & burnt orange on all white, runs flawlessly, runs 60-62, takes mid-afternoon chop well, and turns on a dime.
    -MOB

voodoomedman
    There is a reason Ultra no longer has anything to do with them. PM Ultra28 and tell him what your looking for. As mentioned he is looking to come out with a new line of boats with the same quality just not all the bling bling for less money. He also works well with ***boaters so maybe getting a deal on something might put you into your price range. Also do a search. I'm sure there is the history posted somewhere on here about those guys.

College Fund
    I am new to this site, but we purchased a Lightning 23' xs last year and we are very happy. They treated us great. First time on the water we got hit at the dock by some drunk guy. Lighting fixed the boat free of charge while doing the 20 hour service, it don't get any better than that.

Havasu_Dreamin
    My wife and I are in the market for our first boat. <snip> Any advice?
    Un-biased, non-cheerleading things to think about:
    Break
    Out
    Another
    Thousand
    In all seriousness, have you been boating before? I ask only because this is your first boat. Do you know that you will enjoy it? Will your family enjoy it? Nothing worse than dropping some serious coin on a boat and you or your family don't enjoy boating.
    Ask yourself these questions:
    1. Where do you plan to do most of your boating?
    Topock up to Needles and Laughlin? May want to consider a jet boat due to the river being shallower North of Needles unless you know the river like the back of your hand. Topock down to Havasu springs? Can pretty much run anything there. The Parker strip? Again you need to the river well to avoid some of the shallow spots. Big River down to Blythe? Almost exclusively jets.
    2. What do you plan to do when boating?
    You going to want to water-ski? tube? wakeboard? Find a cove and just chill out?
    3. How many peeps will you have with you usually? Just you and your wife or will the in-laws always be with you? If you're only to take 4-5 peeps total, a closed bow may work, more than that on a regular basis you'll probably want an open bow?
    4. What are you looking for in terms of quality? Do you care that everything is thru-0bloted? Do you care if the hull has some type of coring to it? Do you want a kickass stereo system?
    You can ask all of the questions you want and there are plenty of us on here that will answer them.
    The thing to remember is that there a plenty of people on here that think their boat is the absolute best boat money can buy, that's called cheerleading, especially when they are way off base. there are reason that two similarly sized and equipped boats may be as much as $15k apart in price, and it aint all profit. You get what you pay for. The boat industry is like any other industry, there is a definite tier as to who is at the top and who is at the bottom. not everyone will agree on who is where either. Pick out which boats you like, based on the lines, and the functionality of it's amenities and how they will work for YOU.
    Go to each and every builder you are interested in and take a tour of the factory. If they won't show you how they make the boat, leave. See how the boats are actually built. How do they lay the glass up? Do they use multiple layers of the same type of glass, such as only random directional glass, or do they use multiple layers of different types of glass, bi-directional, tri-directional, quadaxial? Is all of the hardware thru-bloted or do they just screw it into the fiberglass? Does the boat have full-length stringers or not? Are the screws on the underside of the ski locker capped off so you don't scrape your hand or your skis or wakeboard?
    Ultimately, you're the one that will have to make the payments and be happy with your boat so you need to get the boat that fits your needs the best, and yes, that may include buying used at first.

College Fund
    If it will float and get you to the sandbar, buy it!

dicudmore
    If it will float and get you to the sandbar, buy it!
    thats really what its all about

dicudmore
    I would not buy a cheese-burger from the people at lightning boats, much less a boat. More details available on request :wink:
    As stated above, Ultra is now taking orders for a less-bling line of boats that will be considerably cheaper than the Stealth line in terms of price...Still built right, just not many options or choices...You pick the colors and the power package basically :wink:
    Ultra is a great company to do business with, they treat all their customers like family.
    Prior to my current Ultra I had an 04 Cheetah. I personally have nothing but good things to say about my experience with them during the build process and of the boat itself.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast