Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: lightning boats?

wright27
    Explain the difference between the two. I am curious to hear.

shippingguy
    I looked very closley at the Ultra and the Lightning. Unless I missed something I honestly could not see anything that would make the Ultra worth more except for the trendy name, and after watching the show they had on T.V. they seem like dumbasses.
    Have you ever thought that TV has a lot of made up drama??? Do you really think that if they were dumbasses they would have the reputation they have and the customer loyalty, let alone be in business still?? Maybe you should go down to San Diego and see how things are ran first hand and then give your input here on the boards!

Havasu_Dreamin
    Explain the difference between the two. I am curious to hear.
    I've never seen Lightning go thru the process of building boats. All I was pointing out is that comparing two similar sized and equipped boats after construction will not give you a true indicator of the construction values that were used in building the boat.
    As an example:
    Company A: has bitchen gel coat designs and their rigging is good enough, not a rats nest, but not as neat as it could be, uses only 4 layers of fiberglass, does not core the hull, has partial length stringers, screws their hardware into the boat, and only attaches the wiring every foot or so and they charge X dollars for a 21 foot boat.
    Company B: has just as good as gel coat designs as company A does. They use 8 layers of fiberglass, core the hull, have 4 full length stringers, thru-bolt all of their hardware and attach all of the wiring together every inch or so in addition to using cushioned clamps to attach them to the transom and charges X+$10k for a 21 foot boat.
    You can see there is a difference in the construction values used between company A and company B. That difference justifies the cost difference for a similarly priced and equipped boat. The differences are not things that will come to light just by looking at the completed product.

jbone
    Company B: has just as good as gel coat designs as company A does. They use 8 layers of fiberglass, core the hull, have 4 full length stringers, thru-bolt all of their hardware and attach all of the wiring together every inch or so in addition to using cushioned clamps to attach them to the transom and charges X+$10k for a 21 foot boat.
    Sounds like SHOCKWAVE, but the +$10k is throwing me off. Who is it??
    J

cc322
    If your looking at your first boat and money is a concern I would call Ron Pace at Renegade performance boats and see what he can do for you. Ron made us a sweet deal on our first 21 boat and they stand behind there product. Not a big name company but big enough to care about the customer during and after they build the boat They also have a nice 23 which use to be a Ulta / Caliber1 at one time. You will find out alot of these older molds have been whored out to alot of different builders and are still in production.
    http://www.renegadeperformanceboats.com/

wright27
    I've never seen Lightning go thru the process of building boats. All I was pointing out is that comparing two similar sized and equipped boats after construction will not give you a true indicator of the construction values that were used in building the boat.
    As an example:
    Company A: has bitchen gel coat designs and their rigging is good enough, not a rats nest, but not as neat as it could be, uses only 4 layers of fiberglass, does not core the hull, has partial length stringers, screws their hardware into the boat, and only attaches the wiring every foot or so and they charge X dollars for a 21 foot boat.
    You can see there is a difference in the construction values used between company A and company B. That difference justifies the cost difference for a similarly priced and equipped boat. The differences are not things that will come to light just by looking at the completed product.
    There is no justifying the cost of boats today. They are the price they are because it is popular and people have money to burn right now. I can see the cost difference between one using more materials than the other. When I was seriously looking at the Ultra and the Lightning, I discussed quality with both manufacturers. They both agreed the lightning was just as good of quality the only difference was the lightning mold are the older ultra molds (this is not information I know, this is info that was told to me). Ultra boats are very nice boats don't get me wrong. There is just some information be passed on here that seems more like opinions than educated information. The question I asked was what makes the ultra worth so much more money than the lightning. I understand the A- B comparison, but what about the ultra -lightning comparison.Guys are saying they would never buy a lightning and other than not caring for the owner I have seen no answer why. I am not trying to start a big debate or seem like an asshole I would just like to know.

wright27
    Have you ever thought that TV has a lot of made up drama??? Do you really think that if they were dumbasses they would have the reputation they have and the customer loyalty, let alone be in business still?? Maybe you should go down to San Diego and see how things are ran first hand and then give your input here on the boards!
    Yes T.V. does do this, but would you want you business shown to be this way. The episode I watched the guy placed they said like 20 screws right through the gas tank, they discovered this on the water after the boat was built.

shippingguy
    Yes T.V. does do this, but would you want you business shown to be this way. The episode I watched the guy placed they said like 20 screws right through the gas tank, they discovered this on the water after the boat was built.
    It has not hurt the business at all. Believe me I know the episode and have been in the boat personally. I actually do not remember anybody ever saying that there were 20 screws in the gas tank. Also that had to do with the stereo guys which are no longer a part of the company. You are entitled to your opinion and that is what the boards are about, but get the facts straight before you start personal attacks on people because believe me you do not have your facts straight. I reiterate go down to the factory in San Diego and THEN come on here and give your opinion. I will bet it will be different!

shippingguy
    There is no justifying the cost of boats today. They are the price they are because it is popular and people have money to burn right now. I can see the cost difference between one using more materials than the other. When I was seriously looking at the Ultra and the Lightning, I discussed quality with both manufacturers. They both agreed the lightning was just as good of quality the only difference was the lightning mold are the older ultra molds (this is not information I know, this is info that was told to me). Ultra boats are very nice boats don't get me wrong. There is just some information be passed on here that seems more like opinions than educated information. The question I asked was what makes the ultra worth so much more money than the lightning. I understand the A- B comparison, but what about the ultra -lightning comparison.Guys are saying they would never buy a lightning and other than not caring for the owner I have seen no answer why. I am not trying to start a big debate or seem like an asshole I would just like to know.
    To answer the question for you. It is called integrity of the people involved in said company!! Remember once you buy the boat you are going to have issues whether they are big or small that is part of boating. You want to make sure the company is going to be around when that time comes!

Havasu_Dreamin
    Sounds like SHOCKWAVE, but the +$10k is throwing me off. Who is it??
    J
    It's a generalization representing no company. We now return you to your regularly scheduled cheerleading.....

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast