Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to kill flipper

nitro557
    i have a 1975 southwind 460 ford berkley jc with an a impeller , the new motor will turn the pump at 6000rpm but between 5000 to 6000 rpm it porpuses baddly and i mean BADDLY i do have a place diverter and a loader grate nothing seems to help, any suggestions? im thinking of sandbags or some kind of ballast to heavey up the nose ?

Hallett19
    damn, how do you get it to turn so many rpm's ? mine only pulls 4,500 with minor mods and a 650 edelbrock. And about your problem, I have heard that sometimes those boats just have that problem, not much you can do, adding weight might help.

fryzll
    Hey nitro, I just have to ask, what kind of horsepower are you runnin to pull a A impeller at 6000 RPM? Any MPH #'s? I have a 460 (around 425 to 450 hp) w/ a Jacuzzi YJ and im turning 4800 RPM at 65 MPH. Im not doubting you, it just seems like alot of RPM for that pump setup. As for the porpusing, if you are gonna keep the boat you might look into trim tabs. A friend of mine has a set of hydraulic tabs on his Camander open bow and they work great. It really shoves the bow into the water when theyre down. That about all I can think of.
    Chris

nitro557
    722hp at over 7000rpm im gonna cut the impeller to a b that is what the cam company recomends so im gonna try it before the season ends , but the boat is really nose light and starts jumping so hard the other seats in the boat are coming out as far as mph go i cant hold onto the gps to tell

froggystyle
    Have you installed a ride plate yet??? Adjusting that down/up would help plenty.

nitro557
    the bottom of my boat is a v and i have no place to bolt a ride plate to also i have a c bowl which is solid so no place to bolt the rear of the plate,if anybody knows of a way to do this it would be great, otherwise im gonna have to get a hull that will handle the power

tahoe22
    Have you checked the strightness of your hull for hook -or- rocker? That is where I would start first. If that checks out OK, I would look at getting some arneson trim tabs if your gonna keep the boat. You can also look at adding some phatbags to add weight and just drain them before you put it back on the trailer. (Thats a cheap fix, but you will lose some mph) My .02

LEMON SQUIRT
    i had a 75 eLEMONator that porpoises so bad it made flipper look like a guppy. I sold the hull after i found out it was a design flaw in the boat (v-drive boat that had a jet put in it- rockered bottem-they made a few like that until they found out it doesnt work)it had cav plates but to get it to ride smooth they had to be at a 45 degree down angle TOP SPEED--54 MPH like dragging a battleship anchor so i sold it and got a new boat. my suggestion-CHECK THE BOTTEM by the way place diverter didnt help at all.--good luck

squirts
    How are you running the diveter? Is it buried in the water or is the roost way up in the air. What happens when you only have about 4 ft. of roost at WOT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast