Thread: Merc 6.2L Upgrades??

sigepmock
    Posted this in GearHeads but didn't get any response so I thought I'd try it hear.
    I picked up our new Ultra 21 Stealth with the 6.2L Merc with a Bravo 1. It runs decent but as always looking for a little more. Any basic upgrades I should look into? Is it worth replacing the air filter/flame arrestor? Any computer tuning mods available? Budget is a little low for a while but thinking of next year already. Do I save up and do the exhaust? A Whipple ? or just leave it alone and save for the upgrade on the next boat?
    Thanks,
    Chris

bordsmnj
    i kinda kicked artound the idea for a while and figured i'd wait till next boat. i have simular boat(21 open bow) with the same motor and drive. here's why:
    whipple system=4000+/-
    exhaust 2000(gotta let a blower breath)
    head work ????
    trimtabs 2000(gotta keep it in the water somehow;thehullwasn't meant to have500+hp)
    external stering2000(i must at over 70mph)
    and if yuh wanna run hard new pistons wouldn't suck either.
    so to do it RIGHT your talkin over ten thou.
    you could skimp on some things and come in under ten thou but you'll spend it in the long run.
    on the other hand it would be big in the cool factor points to have a rightous sleeper. you could probably get that ultra to go 85+ with the right set up. it just be the scariest 85 you ever did
    just my humble opinion-jas

sigepmock
    Thanks Jas,
    That's kinda the same conclusion I'm coming to too. I might get the exhaust done. CBLavey had the Eddie Marine exhaust installed on the same motor as ours and said it made a noticable difference in performance. Well only a couple more trips planned this year anyway, maybe I'll do something over the winter.
    Thanks again,
    Chris

phuggit
    Leave it alone Chris. My insurance was just cancelled because the insurance company has a formula which shows my boat exceeds 65MPH. Or as Jas stated, be willing to fork over the money for the extra speed.
    I'm beginning to like my turnkey boat. Although there is a nice used boat for sale in Corona. It needs a little gel work and some interior tlc. I heard the owner is MOTIVATED and willing to deal. I think it's a AfterShoCommaderwave or something. I'll change it over to a wacker, so I can leave the fuel tanks/fills where they're at. :2purples:

Whipple Charged
    To clear a few things up, a supercharger for the EFI engine will run you nearly $6000. You certainly do NOT need exhaust, you do NOT need head work, you do NOT need new pistons and you don't need trim tabs. You would only need trim tabs or what I like to call training wheels if the boat handles poorly on top end, otherwise, getting on plane will never be a problem and they just scrub speed when in use.
    The extras you'll need is this:
    Medium duty oil cooler/corresponding lines and fittings (factory engine has no oil cooler and only a 4qt oil pan)
    Boost and fuel psi gauge (I might be a nice guy and throw those in), not mandatory, but nice to have.
    New prop, 4 pitches larger than stock prop.
    Drive shower if you don't already have one.
    There is no problem with the heads or pistons, and the motor can certainly be turnkey for many hours. I don't care what anybody tells you, your not going to feel a night and day performance gain from exhaust, especially on the small block. Your going to pick up 10-20hp which is typically 1-2mph. You'll like the sound more, but it's not going to put your head in the back of the seat like any supercharger, nothing close.
    Thanks,
    Dustin

bordsmnj
    ah,thanks for clearin' that up. i believe the same about the exhaust"upgrade". i'd love to put one of your systems on my boat,but it would be way to much like putting diamond earings on a pig. on my next boat i want boost!

sigepmock
    Thanks Dustin,
    I Don't think we were saying you Had to do the internal just think I would feel better doing it with all the good stuff so there wouldn't be any worries. I should know my truck doesn't have all the good internals and its got 30,000 blown miles on it without a problem. No hard feelings :mix:
    Your also probably right about the exhaust too but it's amazing how a little better sound makes us little boats feel bigger.
    I think I will leave this boat alone and start saving for the cat with a Whipple or maybe a deck boat with a Whipple or maybe.........oh hell whatever it is it will have a Whipple!
    Their customer service has made a customer for life out of me. Read your PMs when you get a chance Dustin.
    Chris

Havasu47
    Dustin is 100 % correct....except for the trim tab thing. Quality trim tabs, (like Merc K-Planes) installed properly, and used properly will not scrub off speed. They are designed, mostly, to stabilize the boat at high speeds. Adding a Whipple will probably increase the top end speed to where it will want to chine walk. K-Planes will control this and actually allow you to drive the boat faster than you would without them.
    Whipple is the best choice for any FI engine!

Craig
    I've heard that the Whipple system compensates for the boost differently than the ProCharger, so this isn't relevent to a Whipple I guess. Friend bought a 29 Powerquest with twin 6.2's. The previous owner put on the ProChargers. My friend bought it and ran it kind of hard coming back from the Sandbar this spring and presto
    http://www.justanothertoy.com/photog...russengine.jpg
    Busted up pistons! I guess the set up just increased fuel pressure as opposed to recalibrating the computer?

Whipple Charged
    Craig,
    Procharger doesn't touch the ECM, it's our opinion that this makes supercharing nearly impossible unless you have a piggy back system or run less than 3lbs of boost, but somehow they've gotten away with it :notam: .
    The stock ECM has the knock system disabled :idea: at the lower temps where we ALL run the stock supercharged motors at. So you have no knock protection if you don't recalibrate, and then it comes to the level of calibration, experiance, development and knowledge.
    Those pistons look like pretty severe detonation. Another thing to look at is that those motors really need oil coolers, especially in dual applications where long throttle periods can be maintained. They have a 4qt oil pan which is really small, and no oil cooler stock, factory buzzer is set at 4psi for warning on low oil psi. Oil is one of the main cooling methods to the pistons.
    Another major problem is water pressure, once again, something Procharger does not address. Most Mercury small blocks come with side draft inlets on the bravo drives. This does not provide enough water flow for proper block pressure on systems without thermostats. Low water PSI equals steam pockets, which destroys engines.
    Thanks,
    Dustin