Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex-Patriots voting

1978 Rogers
    I heard this on NPR this morning on my way into work. Ex-Patriots are signing up to vote. They specifically talked about some of the men that moved to Canada to avoid being drafted for Vietnam. Why are they aloud to vote? They also talked about others that moved up to Canada because of marriage, work, etc.
    I think this is BS. Ex'Patriots should not be allowed to vote.

The liberal left wants their vote because they will vote Democratic. Piss on 'em.

Essex502
    If they did not give up their citizenship when they moved to Canada then they still are legal U.S. citizens. Whether or not they should be legal citizens is the real question.

ROZ
    If they did not give up their citizenship when they moved to Canada then they still are legal U.S. citizens. Whether or not they should be legal citizens is the real question.
    I didn't think draft dogers were legally allowed back into the country because they are considered criminals?

Essex502
    I didn't think draft dogers were legally allowed back into the country because they are considered criminals?
    They probably are guilty of draft dodging though need to be convicted but I'd bet there's some kind of statute of limitations involved...didn't Clinton go to Canada, or am I thinking of someone else?

Sleek-Jet
    Didn't Carter grant amnisty to all of those that avoided the draft??

ROZ
    I remember hearing within the last year that a couple of people came into the country to visit sick relatives(or something) and were arrested at the border. I think Dateline had another stry of a couple living in Canada who feared comming back because of legal action.

Essex502
    Upon a little investigation ... Clinton didn't go to Canada to avoid the draft but made extraordinary efforts to avoid it....the story is pretty interesting reading. Pulling lots of strings got him out of getting drafted.

eliminatedsprinter
    Didn't he tell his draftboard (falsely) that he was in ROTC or some such B.S.??

ROZ
    While I wasn't able to pull up the exact draft dodging guidelines, I was able to come up with about 25 statements from military quotes that state that there is no statute of litation for it. In AWOL instances I found that the crime is continues until the accused (30 days to 100 years) returns to duty or is captured...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast