Thread: What is better MSD 6 vs HEI Accell. Other - Aluminum Head Identification

baddassbaron
    Help
    Any opinion as to what is better between the two:
    MSD 6 (car type distributor) using blaster coil or Accell HEI Distributor and high volatage coil (mounted on top, part # 140003). Or is there really any difference ?
    Either one will be used in a small block chevy.
    Another question regarding aluminum factory heads - By looking at the head which has a couple numbers on it, is there anyway you can identify what type of head (ie: vortec or something else)

Jordy
    Another question regarding aluminum factory heads - By looking at the head which has a couple numbers on it, is there anyway you can identify what type of head (ie: vortec or something else)
    If you get all the numbers you should be able to match them up here:
    http://www.mortec.com/

Bow Tie Omega
    I think when Brendella finishes his motor build up with DNE, he is going to the Dyno with the MSD system and the Davis Unified Igintions HEI. It will be interesting to see if you really need $700-$800 to have a competitive ignition system or if you can get away with paying under $200 for similar performance.

Kurtis500
    Help
    Any opinion as to what is better between the two:
    MSD 6 (car type distributor) using blaster coil or Accell HEI Distributor and high volatage coil (mounted on top, part # 140003). Or is there really any difference ?
    DO NOT BUY THE MSD FOR YOUR BOAT!!
    I just pulled in from the lake where my boats MSD 6 broke on Friday. Leaving me one the trailer the rest of the weekend. Funny thing is, it was a new one and the last one failed in June at Parker. I had an MSD 7 fail this year on my shovel nose and a repaired MSD 6 go down last year at a race. You may have better luck with a blue MSD box, but this one that just went out never saw a wave and had maybe an hour run time. Everything hooked up properly with newer wiring. The two that have been fixed I was told had 'common' failures by the MSD guys in El Paso.
    I'm throwing the billet distributor in the spares box along with its soon to be repaired MSD and going dual points.
    Just my .02

Moneypitt
    Find a Vertex Mag and kiss you ignition problems good bye!!!!!!!

Fiat48
    Find a Vertex Mag and kiss you ignition problems good bye!!!!!!!
    Now how did I know you were going to say that?
    Send those Vertex's back to be checked every 10 years or so. Just a good maintainance program.

Fiat48
    DO NOT BUY THE MSD FOR YOUR BOAT!!
    I just pulled in from the lake where my boats MSD 6 broke on Friday. Leaving me one the trailer the rest of the weekend. Funny thing is, it was a new one and the last one failed in June at Parker. I had an MSD 7 fail this year on my shovel nose and a repaired MSD 6 go down last year at a race. You may have better luck with a blue MSD box, but this one that just went out never saw a wave and had maybe an hour run time. Everything hooked up properly with newer wiring. The two that have been fixed I was told had 'common' failures by the MSD guys in El Paso.
    I'm throwing the billet distributor in the spares box along with its soon to be repaired MSD and going dual points.
    Just my .02
    I thought MSD gives you some bypass type plug in cable to bypass the MSD so when it breaks you can still run. I think there is one in the shop.

Moneypitt
    Hey Bob, it also helps to change the valve springs every 25 years or so, even if they were Engle's back in '77.............They sure woke up the PS 89 motor........ BTW, Engle did a test with a valve spring ina vise for a year, and found no ill affects, but they only rate their's for 1 million cycles.........Ray

Fiat48
    I never have backed off my valve springs for the winter as others do. I don't argue with those that do but I haven't seen any valve spring problems and I would probably do it if I remembered. I run used valve springs anyway. Pro stock racers have them on sale all the time. Sometimes free.