Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I smoke the outdrive?

BeaverJ
    Heres the deal,,,Carrera 257 Party Effect, 500 EFI w/whipple,,,the outdrive is imco w/ 1.50's I believe,,,,40 hrs on the boat that I know of,,,,,today I was cruising along at 60 when I heard a real bad noise,,,the first thougt was that I have blown the motor,,,,but everything is good there,oil pres, water temp, etc,,the boat will not go into gear and the bad noise(sounds like rods knocking) is coming from the transom area,,,,any help would be great,,,and if you could suggest any one to repair in the NW Arkansas area or Tulsa OK that would be great too,,,,,,,,,Thanks

Havasu Hangin'
    Heres the deal,,,Carrera 257 Party Effect, 500 EFI w/whipple,,,the outdrive is imco w/ 1.50's I believe,,,,40 hrs on the boat that I know of,,,,,today I was cruising along at 60 when I heard a real bad noise,,,the first thougt was that I have blown the motor,,,,but everything is good there,oil pres, water temp, etc,,the boat will not go into gear and the bad noise(sounds like rods knocking) is coming from the transom area,,,,any help would be great,,,and if you could suggest any one to repair in the NW Arkansas area or Tulsa OK that would be great too,,,,,,,,,Thanks
    If the boat won't go into gear...it's probably the outdrive.

BeaverJ
    Hey thanks for responding,,,is there anything in particular in or about the outdrive that could have gone wrong,,,and is this a common thing? Thanks again

Havasu Hangin'
    Hey thanks for responding,,,is there anything in particular in or about the outdrive that could have gone wrong,,,and is this a common thing? Thanks again
    Could be alot of things, but a broken upper gearset would be near the top of the list. I'd call Imco...they are usually very helpful.

75spectra
    Wont go into gear or goes into gear and nothing happens?? Sometimes when couplers let go the sound like rods as the splines roll over and fail. Can you see if the driveshaft is turning with the motor?? Outdrives are generally tough and dont just fail for no reason, something had to "prevoke" it....

UnionJack
    I know that sound

BeaverJ
    Ya thats the sound of alot of money going bye bye,,,anyway 75 Spectra to answer your question, at first the noise occured while in neutral, and still made the noise while in gear,,,,after shutting the boat off it will not go into gear and it is some what difficult to turn the prop. oh and it goes into gear and nothing happens,,,but alot of bad noise. As far as seeing if the driveshaft was turning I did not check that,,,and as far as drives being tough thats what I thought,,,my drive is well built so I thought,,,its bravo with internal imco parts,,the boat is at the mechanics now and he did say before tearing into it he would check to see if the driveshaft was turning,,,guys thanks alot for answering this has helped greatly............

SHAKEN Not Stirred
    Call Aaron at Max Machine Worx in Lake Havasu City......
    928-505-7860
    They will take good care of you !!!!!!
    CJG

BADBLOWN572
    From the way that you described it, I would tend to think that it is the coupler. First, to check the coupler see if the shaft coming from the drive to the engine is spinning. If it is not spinning, you blew the coupler (about $400 in parts + labor). Downide to this is that you have to pull the engine to get to the coupler. If the shaft is spinning, it is your drive. Typically something in the uppers. Not too bad usually in terms of pricing, but still not cheap.
    The 500hp with whipple's usually don't break drives freequently, but it does happen, especially in a party cat. The weight of the cat on the drive puts a lot of stress both on the shafts and the gears. Since you didn't hear the boat "zing" and instantly slow down, it would probably be something in the gears or in the clutches. The two things that blow an outdrive faster than anything is accelerating very hard from the start and flying the boat and not getting off of the throttle (unloads and re-loads).

Infomaniac
    Sorry I did not read this sooner, I could have helped you out man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast