Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Merlin or Dart heads?????

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    The word from Chevrolet when the open chamber head was developed (actually was done for emmisions) was the open chamber head gave 50 Hp more than the closed due to improved flame travel in the chamber. I don't remember what rpm that the gain was stated at.
    You're number one deal...is to run as much compression....as you can possibly get away with on the gas you run. It's a big deal. Worth the effort.
    Did you know a set of 119cc heads can be angle milled and become 110 cc's?
    Did you know a set of TRW 12.5 forged pistons can be bought for less than $300?
    Find out if you can get away with 13.5 to 1 compression on av gas. Someone will know. I don't.
    Ok if you angle mill a set of 118cc heads, would your pushro length change?
    Another question, If I was to go with a set of merlins...... They take 11/32 valves. My valves are 3/8, \can i change the guies to accept my 3/8 valves. The reason i ask is because I have a brand new set of severe duty manleys an I dont want to buy another set.

GofastRacer
    Regardless what you do to the heads you don't know if your pushrods are the right lenght until you mock it up and check rocker arm ratio!....Just bore the guides for 3/8 stems!..

Fiat48
    Ok if you angle mill a set of 118cc heads, would your pushro length change?
    Another question, If I was to go with a set of merlins...... They take 11/32 valves. My valves are 3/8, \can i change the guies to accept my 3/8 valves. The reason i ask is because I have a brand new set of severe duty manleys an I dont want to buy another set.
    Probably will change the pushrod length. And you can have the guides honed out to 3/8". But 11/32 loses a lot of weight in the valve. I would sell the valves you have on Ebay and buy 11/32. Actually I would just by the heads Gofastracer has (provided they were good shape) for $550 and use the money saved on the Merlins to buy the right pistons and wind up with about 12.5 or more compression which will provide power you can feel.
    Later down the road if I wanted to move to a more exotic head for whatever reason...there's always somebody looking for a set of 990's.

Jordy
    Dammit Bob, I keep trying to tell 396 that he needs to be down in the 10:1 range for what he's doing. Running race/av gas gets old really quick on a boat that you want to take to the lake every weekend. The nice thing now about my jet, I just pull up to the pump, top it off with super (which is probably overkill anyway) and roll. No more trips to the aeropuerto with that bad boy.
    396, I'd rethink that compression deal for what you're looking to do with it.

78Eliminator
    Dammit Bob, I keep trying to tell 396 that he needs to be down in the 10:1 range for what he's doing. Running race/av gas gets old really quick on a boat that you want to take to the lake every weekend. The nice thing now about my jet, I just pull up to the pump, top it off with super (which is probably overkill anyway) and roll. No more trips to the aeropuerto with that bad boy.
    Either way, he doesn't need the merlins..... My old 427 that was .030 over with 990 heads was kicking it with comperable boats that had 125 CIs more than me. Wanna know why? Compression. I would do some fuel research and determine what you can live with. Maybe you can still fill up at the pump with enough bottles of additives on board. But by all means, get as much compression as you possibly can...

Jordy
    Either way, he doesn't need the merlins..... My old 427 that was .030 over with 990 heads was kicking it with comperable boats that had 125 CIs more than me. Wanna know why? Compression. I would do some fuel research and determine what you can live with. Maybe you can still fill up at the pump with enough bottles of additives on board. But by all means, get as much compression as you possibly can...
    396 isn't looking for a race boat, at least that's what he told me. He's looking for something that he can shoot planes out of the sky with the roost.
    He's always easy to find on the lake we go to. Just look for the 200' water fountain.

Fiat48
    But he is looking for more power. And trying to come up with compression. And running Av gas anyway. So put as much compression in that thing as your fuel will allow. Compression is power...everywhere. Only bad is the fuel you have to use.
    But..there is something to be said for "turn key and pump gas". I understand where you are coming from. Just depends on what he wants to do. Only he knows that.

Jordy
    But..there is something to be said for "turn key and pump gas".
    I've got one of those right now for sure (the pump gas part), and with the new fuel pump I just ordered, I think, hope, and pray that I'll have the other for a while.

78Eliminator
    I've got one of those right now for sure (the pump gas part), and with the new fuel pump I just ordered, I think, hope, and pray that I'll have the other for a while.
    Bullshit. This winter we throw some huge dome pistons in there......

Jordy
    Bullshit. This winter we throw some huge dome pistons in there......
    Gee, let me think. Um, no? I'm pulling 6K on the tach right now with an "A" impeller. I think I'm happy where I am. Besides they already have domes on them.
    If anything, like I get the urge to destroy something, I'll just add some giggle gas and go from there. Right now it's been 3 days since I've had a wrench on my boat. I'm going for 4.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast