Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Merlin or Dart heads?????

78Eliminator
    Right now it's been 3 days since I've had a wrench on my boat. I'm going for 4.
    That's my point. A couple weeks will go by, and you will want to wrench. We need to get you right at 13:1. :hammer2:

Jordy
    That's my point. A couple weeks will go by, and you will want to wrench. We need to get you right at 13:1. :hammer2:
    I have the Schiada if I want to wrench. I think I'm going to get it running again in the next couple weeks. Should help it move. I'm just enjoying having a running boat right now, although I do need to throw a new battery in it as the optima in there is at least 4 years old and kind of worn out. So there, a new fuel pump and battery and I'll have all the wrenching I need.

lucky
    And Pump Gas -- ???? Its All About Lobe Seperation And Mech Compression Ratio's Cylinder Presure Is The Key To Detonation .

78Eliminator
    I have the Schiada if I want to wrench. I think I'm going to get it running again in the next couple weeks. Should help it move. I'm just enjoying having a running boat right now, although I do need to throw a new battery in it as the optima in there is at least 4 years old and kind of worn out. So there, a new fuel pump and battery and I'll have all the wrenching I need.
    If you sell my schiada for me, I will give you 5% of the sale...

Jordy
    If you sell my schiada for me, I will give you 5% of the sale...
    I can't sell mine right now, but I'll add yours to the list. So if I sell it for $100 you're going to give me $5? Sweet.

78Eliminator
    Shaun, you going to jump on those heads or not? You have it in your signature line that you want 990s, but you never jump on them. You will not find any good condition 990 heads for less than $500, I guarantee.....

Fired Up
    Hey Fiat! WHERE do you find a new set of 12.5:1 TRW pistons for less than $300.? Need to know.......I'm looking for more HP as you well Know. Planning for winter.

Fiat48
    They run specials on them from time to time. Check a copy of national dragster. Competiton products has done it.
    Or since you live so close to Ling beach swap meet...a lot of the piston manufactures take overstock and other pistons to the swap meets and sell them. Most everybody makes a 12.5 to 1 piston for a BBC.
    I have a set of new Manley Pro Domes that are 13.5...still in the box. Lighter than a trw but otherwise not much different. But they are .100 over. $300

steelcomp
    Hey Fiat! WHERE do you find a new set of 12.5:1 TRW pistons for less than $300.? Need to know.......I'm looking for more HP as you well Know. Planning for winter.
    You won't get 12:1 with TRW's without a lot of work, and a lot less that 118 cc chambers.

steelcomp
    Fiat, you soud like a pretty savvy guy when it comes to engines, but I don't get this high compression thing. It's been a few years now since that was the "best" way to build power. With today's chamber designs and cam profiles (and EFI in cars) there's some increadible HP numbers coming out of motors at lower than ever before rpm levels, all on pump gas. 800 hp ouut of a 10:1 500ci. motor is not unreassonable, and that's at a usable rpm. Cam profiles today can way more than make up for lower static compression. Static compression tends to seperate the fuel molecules at a more rapid rate, which is what causes detonation. Dynamic compression, or "cyl pressure" builds at a different rate, not disturbing the fuel and allowing for a much more controlled burn, even on pump gas. That's why chamber shape has so much to do with good or bad burn.
    In an all out race motor where you're running 13.5+:1, and using c14 0r c16, and can fully take advantage of that kind of gas, compression is the only way to go, but then you're talking about a motor that isn't going to develope the dynamic cyl pressure in a usable rpm for most jet boats.
    396, the idea of keeping your compression at a level where you can use pump gas isn't performance limiting. It's being sensable. Av gas is a poor substitute for race gas, and you won't see the performance gain by running it that you think you will. If you want to run compression, the only way to really take advantage of it is to buy $4.00+ a gallon race gas. That is a pain in the ass, and expensive. If you just take the time to do your OWN research, you can build a pump gas motor that will hand most of these guys their asses. On a single four barrel.
    steel

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast