Thread: Leaking V drive

Kev
    Hi all,
    I have a ski boat that has a v driven 350 Chev & have recently noticed water contamination in the v drive oil as it is water cooled.
    My question is does the v drive need to be water cooled ?
    All vehical gearboxes & diffs are not so can i just disconect the cooling water to save removing it to replase the seals ?
    How much damage can be resuted in running it with the milky oil ?
    Cheers,
    Kev.

superdave013
    most of the fast drag boat types don't cool their v drives. If I was you I would keep yours water cooled. Unlike the rear end in your car there is no air moving over the v drive. You'll be putting miles / hours on your v drive unlike the flatbottom / hydros the only run 1/4 mile in under 10 seconds.
    If you leave water in there for any length of time you could get pitted bearings and the like.
    sounds like it just needs some new gaskets. What type of v drive is it?

Kev
    sounds like it just needs some new gaskets. What type of v drive is it?
    Im sure it does just need some gaskets but not looking forward to removing the v drive.
    The boat is at a mates house so i will check what type it is tomorrow.

76BARRON
    I have had a similar problem with a casale box with oil getting milky and all I had to do was tighten screws about a 1/2 turn or so(a few loose) and change oil and it's been fine since. However this past week I did a gear swap
    and added all new gaskets anyway(first in 20+ yr's).Check screws first and change oil and you may be o.k!

Moneypitt
    Beware that all v drive gaskets are not the same thickness and this is a critical area as far as gear mesh. Another thing to check is the condition of the mating surfaces, over time they will erode away and sealing, even with a new gasket is marginal. ***NOTE*** Do not use sealer, use white grease on the gaskets..........MP

Kev
    I checked out my v drive today & the bolts seem tight but couldnt get a ring spanner on them due to them being so close to the housing, will hunt around for some sockets that size.
    As for the gaskit it looks like it was last sealed with Silicone Blue, Whats this "white grease" you talk about ?
    OK the only markings i could find it was - "ARGO" & "13.6 H80" stamped into it.
    Does this make anysense ?
    I live in a small town in Australia & have found that the local boat workshops don't want anything to do with v drives.
    Im hoping its a common brand considering it is mated to a Chevy.
    Any thoughts ?

Razors Edge
    Perhaps ask here: http://www.ausapba.com/index.html
    From your description of the markings on the box it sounds like you have an Aussie made Argo v-drive, I know a few guys here who have raced them and they are a good reliable v-drive. Someone at the Australian Power Boat Assn should be able to put you in touch with the manufacturers or a dealer somewhere near you as some of the racers there use these boxes.
    Failing that Argo or one of their dealers used to advertise in Australian Powerboat magazine if that is still around and Race Boat News which is a publication of the Aussie PBA.
    Hope this helps