Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guest rules for your home (second home)

yeah,right
    All this talk about rules on boats got me thinking. I'm sure a lot of you have second homes (vacation homes). I've got one in Tahoe. Do you lend out your place? Do you have rules? Here are some of mine along with some things that piss me off about some of my friends and family.
    Change the sheets- If you slept in one of my beds, even for only one night, put clean sheets on when your done.
    Don't have your crap sprawled out all over the place- keep my place picked up. Remember, this is my home, respect it.
    Don't bring tag-a-longs- whether I'm there or not. If you ask to use my place, that means you not everyone of your freeloading friends (unless of course you clear it with me first and agree to be responsible for your friends behavior)
    No pets- why would you even think your dog is welcome to chew and piss on my couch while your out doing whatever.
    Replace what you used- this means food and toiletries. I don't charge you to use my place. It isn't a hotel. I hate coming back to the place after lending it out to find my refrigerator, that I left stocked, empty and no toilet paper left.
    Leave the place better than when you found it- empty the trash and clean up. There is nothing worse than coming back to a house that somebody left there half eaten mexican food in the trash can for weeks.
    Clean out the sink- I don't want to see the toothpaste or whatever you left in there when I'm trying to brush my teeth.
    Bring your own towels- I don't care how many I have, it never seems to be enough. Plus people seem to respect sh*t better when they paid for it.
    If you use my place for more than a couple of days, call the maid and leave her some money. Again, I'm not running a hotel, so don't expect me to clean up after you.
    Offer to help with anything it we're there together. I understand it's your vactation, but it's mine too. Don't expect me to wait on you.
    Am I an azzhole for thinking this way?

ittybitycowgrl
    [QUOTE=yeah,right]
    These are more than reasonable rules for staying in someones home. They really go without saying for people who do respect other peoples things.
    It is always nice to leave the home as if you were never there.
    Might want to print your rules and post them on the bathroom mirror for future reference to those that do not have RESPECT.

havasurat27
    Our house in Havasu has only a few rules because if you give too many it overwhealms and then nothing gets attended to.
    1. The guest bathroom is for you.....The Guest....You use it you clean it.
    2. Change the sheets and wash the others.
    3. Vaccuum your end of the house.
    4. Nobody sits in my chair until after I have passed out.
    5. Leave at least a dollar in the "This house doesn't run on friendship" jar sitting on the bar.
    Anything other that would be extra credit and may be rewarded with a future invite.

yeah,right
    [QUOTE=yeah,right]
    These are more than reasonable rules for staying in someones home. They really go without saying for people who do respect other peoples things.
    It is always nice to leave the home as if you were never there.
    Might want to print your rules and post them on the bathroom mirror for future reference to those that do not have RESPECT.
    You would think that most people would repect it enough. I'm going to print out a set of rules with a checklist. I think the one thing that bothers me the most is the bed sheets thing. I don't know why, I guess I just don't like the thought of sleeping in soembody elses dried up wet spot.

ittybitycowgrl
    You would think that most people would repect it enough. I'm going to print out a set of rules with a checklist. I think the one thing that bothers me the most is the bed sheets thing. I don't know why, I guess I just don't like the thought of sleeping in soembody elses dried up wet spot.
    eeew. that's gross. But keep in mind, just because they checked it doesn't mean it's done. LOL
    Gotta trust who you give the keys too as well.

Totally IncapASSitated
    Nope, you are nice enough to let them use it and they should leave it cleaner than when they got there.
    I don't have many I would allow to use my place. It is a very few number that I would even consider this for.
    You hit the nail on the head there Tom!!!
    I like to emphasize that it is not a Vegas hotel room, so don't treat it like one!!!! The maid will not be stopping by shortly after you leave to clean up like your mom does for you!!!

MrsSigEpMock
    I have used a friend's house out at Havi, and their main rule is wash the sheets and towels. They have peeps throw the sheets in the wash as they pack up then in the dryer right before they leave that way, they know the sheets were washed because they are in the dryer waiting for them when they get there. Your rules are your rules, if they don't like them, they can fork over $$$ a night to stay at a hotel if they want maid service. You shouldn't have to maintain 2 households for friends' sake. Posting them is a good idea. Your Friends may appreciate knowing what to do to make you happy and willing to lend it to them again. Good luck!

ittybitycowgrl
    I hear Midlife Advantage will even pull your weeds from the front yard as a Thank you for letting him use your home for the weekend. Heck, he might even pull out a plant or too as well. LOL

havaduner
    I dont let ANYONE use my house when I am not there, nor will I stay in your house if you are not there. This also goes for boats. My list is short (and so is the list of people I let stay)
    1. It's my house, so treat it better than you do yours
    2. The guest bathroom is yours use it, not mine
    3. Pick up after yourself, or my wife will give you stink eye all weekend.
    4. Strip the bed, new sheets are in the closet.
    5. Help out with the groceries, since your going to help eat them.
    6. If you want to get invited back, make sure my beer fridge is well stocked!

havasurat27
    I forgot to include the beer fridge rule.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast