Thread: Spark Plugs, gap and timing on stock 454

MohaveChuck
    I noticed lack of power and black transom at the end of a good run on Sat.
    So I am thinking the timing is off. I pulled a plug and it sure was black. I am running Champion RV12C plugs. Very Stock 454 probably original, in a 30 yr old Spectra 20 V-drive, points and condenser ignition. What should my timing be? and what do you guys think of the plug selection?
    Thanks,
    Chuck

Moneypitt
    The plugs aren't the problem, carburation is where you need to look. late timing will affect performance, but the black sooty plugs are a sign of loading up. Idleing around will load it up, but a good hard run should clean it out, and the transom coloring may be a result of the idleing. What carb is on it, and when was the last time it was gone thru?...As far as gap, .035 with that ignition, and a max (ballpark) advance of 28-32 degrees @ 3000. That's MAX, initial should come out about 10-12, depending on the amount of advance in the dist. This can be tough to set without a "dial back" timing light........MP

MohaveChuck
    MP,
    I don't know when the carb was last rebuilt. I will this winter though. I am going up this weekend to change those plugs and check the timing. I don't have a dial back timing light but may get one by Fri. I am not too concerned about the loading up, more concerned about the lack of power and I hope the timing is the problem. Also a great excuse to go up again to "work" on the boat and hit Laughlin. (shhh don't tell the wife)
    Chuck

MikeF
    TOO MUCH FUEL. MP pretty much :hammer2: it.
    :clover:

sgdiv7
    check the points I bet you find the dwell off. If they are off by a bunch it could make the carb. drip from a bad vacuum signal and that would be your rich condition. If the points are good bring the carb back and I will look at it for you. Single point 30 deg. duel points 34 deg. dwell. Or .016 single .017 duel
    I think, Its been a while sense I have done points.
    Bill

SANGER-RICH
    If you are running a point distrubitor, shoot change it to a HEI you wont regret it :idea: :hammer2:

MikeF
    div7 makes a good point! Engine will not run well w/ incorrect dwell setting = not correct spark. Simple adj, just need a dwell meter to set correctly.

MohaveChuck
    Ok I am checking the Dwell also. I will be going with a HEI this winter I just need it to get through a couple of more trips before I drag it back from Mohave.
    Thanks all,
    Chuck