Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Values With Aftermarket Stuff....

RiverOtter
    (I'll probably get flammed for this but....) I know a lot of y'all have customized / personalized trucks. I am looking at some used Chevy HD 2500 Duramax's. Some have been dressed up real nice with the wheels and door handles and shocks and steros.
    The problem I am having is all my life when talking to dealers they maintain all this stuff is worthless. Makes the trucks look and perform better but does not add value to the truck. Some of the people selling these trucks seem to think the $6,000 to $10,000 they spent 1 - 2 years ago has not depreciated at all . How do y'all treat the aftermarket stuff when buying / selling these trucks?
    Let the flamming begin

HALLETT BOY
    Like it was never there ! The dealer is right, aftermarket stuff does nothing to add to the value, and sometimes detracts from it ! I Personaly do not want a truck that has been jacked up or hacked up or lowered...

Lightning
    It depends on the buyer.... Is a Lexus GS300 worth more than a Toyota Camry? It's the same care, one is just dressed up to the tune of $10,000 more. With any vehicle out there (boats, cares, trucks etc...), there is one thing to remember . . . there is an ass for every seat, it just a matter of finding the ass.

YeLLowBoaT
    Too me if you have messed with the truck at all it just lost 50% of its value.
    now things like bigger wheels, tires, "pro installed" steros, bedliners, tool boxs bumbers and hitchs. are ok as long as they are in good taste.
    pretty much any preformance upgrades make me walk away. Also if the truck is lifted, walk away.

NOTALENT
    yup...any performance mods just mean more abuse done the the vehicle. They may look nice, but where has this lifted 4x4 truck really been...???? Buy stock and you know it hasnt been abused too bad.
    Not to mention most of these upgrades void Warrantys.

dicudmore
    Like it was never there ! The dealer is right, aftermarket stuff does nothing to add to the value, and sometimes detracts from it ! I Personaly do not want a truck that has been jacked up or hacked up or lowered...
    what he said

2Driver
    10-15 cents on the dollar if you are real lucky in the target maret.

Caribbean Jet
    You'll never get what you paid. Perception is in the eye of the beholder, so if have something that has been lifted, lowered or tinkered with make sure that the details of the ride look good. Ask what you want and if you don't get that price you can always lower it.

Froggystyle
    I have ALWAYS gotten a lot more for highly modified vehicles used than stockers. I have an offer right now on my 2002 Chevy D-max 2WD for $40K that I am not taking in fact. Lots of mods, frame cut for the drop, completely custom dashboard etc... Thing is, I would just have to go do it all again for a new truck, so we are hanging on to it for the shop vehicle.
    It is all in who did the mods, how great it looks and performs and what kind of a statement it makes to the person looking for a vehicle. I sold my Corvette for nearly $10K over book last week due to killer mods. Any time someone tried talking me down, I just said "fine, if the wheels aren't worth anything, I will put stock ones on and sell it for what you want to pay..."
    No one chose that option though.
    Mods are always worth something. If they weren't, we wouldn't buy them.
    Put two otherwise stock Chevy trucks next to each other. One with an RCD 6" lift, 20" wheels and tires and killer stereo and the other completely stock, charge $5K more for the modified one and watch it sell first every time. Every time.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast