Thread: New Steering cable ?

BrendellaJet
    First: When you buy a new cable does it include a new rack?
    Also, my old cable was too long & I threw it away. Is there a fool proof way to measure for a new one?

502 JET
    The last one I installed was a Teleflex rack it was a complete set up.It comes with the complete helm assembly rack and cable.It can be installed for the cable to run down the port or starboard side.I called boaters world or west marine it was around $150.00 plus a few bucks for shipping.
    To measure for the cable length:measure from your steering wheel and around the side of the boat then out thru the transom.Make sure you dont order too short.Its easy to loose extra cable then not have enough.

YeLLowBoaT
    Here you go....
    linkage (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...alsteering.htm)
    just make sure you round up to the nearist foot. IE you have 11' 2" get a 12'

BrendellaJet
    Thanks for the link, makes sense. Do I need to also measure the distance from the transom to the tiller?
    This is for a Morse steering system.

BrendellaJet
    damn- 38 views?

wrenchdaddy
    I need to replace my cable too, but kinda scared to because I've heard you gotta pull the engine with a panther pump to get the end of the cable out.

Konabud
    I just changed mine out. I re-routed it compleatly, the way it was routed before was just BAD. It went directly out of the rack into a SHARP 90 (maybe a 3" radius), down the port gunnel to the transom, then a 180 under the motor, then a 180 back to the transom exit on the starbord side. Now it goes out of the rack to the starboard gunnel to 1 large looping "S" then straight into the transom exit. It's a one finger deal now instead of both hands, I also went with the TFXtreme cables on both the steering and shifter. I used a large extension cord to lay it out from the centerline of the helm to the end of the cable then rounded up to the nearest foot. It fit perfect.

Nubbs
    I just bought a complete cable and helm assembly from Rex Marine. It's the new Teleflex cable setup. It cost $159. I didn't realize how bad my old cable was until I got this new one. Can't wait to get it in the boat and go driving.