Thread: prop questions????

pleasantcat
    ok guys 25 daytona and i have a high "x" dimension maybe too high. i've been running bravo 1 1:50 a 28lab prop and spinning 6500-6800rpm @99.9mph that makes the slip way up there. i tried a natural 34p to both go faster but drop the rpms but, i cant get on plane. it starts to pushover and then blows the prop right out of the water will a 34p not hold the water at low rpms? or is my "x" way too high?

DrewDown
    Have you tried a 30 0r 32 pitch? Thats a big jump from a 28 to a 34.

Bre
    Do you have a big shaft or a small shaft on your bravo1? If you have the big shaft ( guys I'm not talking that way ) and your gonna be in Havasu the weekend of the 23rd let us know. We have a 30 you can try out.

DrewDown
    Anyone have a 28 they want to sell or trade for a 24?

DogHouse
    Sean, you should try a larger diameter prop before you think about dropping the X. Both Mercury and Hydromotive make some large diameter 5 blade props that are specifically designed to work with very high X dimensions. That way, you get to keep the good low-drag characteristics of the high X dimension, and still have enough blade area in the water to get the boat on plane.
    I have a big shaft 32 bravo that you're also welcome to try if you like. Just let me know.
    -Brian
    ps: Even though the 34 and 28 are the same diameter and blade shape, the reason that the 34 won't get you on plane is because the higher pitch props are less efficient (slip more) at low speed. With your high X, that 28 was probably marginal for getting on plane in the first place, and with the increased slippage of the 34, you're out of luck.

pleasantcat
    i did try a 30p and it seemed to slow the top speed down. i could still spin the high rpm's so i figured it was just not the right prop. plus the guy i got it from had questions about the way it was tuned and would work with my boat. next weekend im going to try a natural 30p and maybe a 32p. the way she acted with the 34 the engine could pull it no problem if i could only stay hooked up.
    oh, good to hear from you brian... sucks we didnt see you out there all year.

Bre
    Anyone have a 28 they want to sell or trade for a 24?
    We have a 28 But you can't have it :boxingguy :wink:

gmocnik
    i have the perfect prop for you...5 blade 30p hering...brand new condition...not enough pitch for me...
    pm me if interested

DogHouse
    ...good to hear from you brian... sucks we didnt see you out there all year.
    Yeah, I didn't get to Pleasant much, just a couple of times. Went lots of other places though!
    I'll probably be out at Apache this weekend in case any of you Phx locals are up for something different.

Bling Bling
    i have the perfect prop for you...5 blade 30p hering...brand new condition...not enough pitch for me...
    pm me if interested
    This is just what the Doc ordered. I bet you try the Hearing and your problems will go away. 3DO had similar problems. Put a set of 6 blade Hearings on and the blown drives cut in half, less vibration, 0 cavatation and i think it ran a bit faster. I remeber someone telling 3DO to get Hearings a long time a go. It wasn't untill he went down on his idol (BT), that he stepped up and got a set. It will be worth your wild to try the Hearing from gmocnik.