Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford distributor puzzle

Mighty Thor
    I am embarassed to admit that I don't know this but I don't. Tried to turn the 460 over to see if it needs anything before I start looking for parts to put the CVX together. Motor is supposed to be just rebuilt. Anyhow, it will turn but wasn't getting any spark. Pulled the cap and discovered that the rotor wasn't turning. As my heart sunk I started to pull the distributor and it seemed sort of stuck. I figured i would just bump the starter a little and it would come out. I bumped and pulled at the same time and when it came up about a 1/4 inch the rotor started turning. Looking down the hole everything looks ok, and I put the distributor in and out several times with exactly the same results. As long as the thing is 1/4 inch above the Edelbrock intake it seems to work fine, but as soon as the thing seats the rotor stops turning.
    So here is the question. Are there different distributors for various Fords and is it possible that some idiot put the wrong one on this engine, or is there some other problem. I am pretty sure that the cam isn't broke because everything seems to function right if the distributor is sitting high. Teeth look good etc.

Squirtin Thunder
    Don't listen to Steelcomp he is crazy !!! Just read what he writes. He is a Ford guy with a Chevy in his boat.
    Jim

steelcomp
    thor...sounds like a sheared roll pin in the gear. When you drop the dist all the way in, you engage the oil pump drive shaft, and the extra drag from the oil pump keeps the dist from turning. Raise the dist and you disengage the oil pump drive shaft , and everything will turn as if it was OK. For some reasons, 460's are known to break dist gear drive pins. Just go to the parts store and get another roll pin. You'll have to remove the gear to drive out the old one, slide the gear back on, and after making sure the holes are lined up correctly, drive in the new pin. The holes will only line up one way. If you have the gear 1/2 turn off, the holes won't line up, and you won't be able to drive the pin all the way through. The pin must go all the way through the other side of the gear. You should be able to see clearly through the hole to see if it's aligned correctly before you insert the new pin.. Tap the new pin in with a small hammer. Don't beat the crap out of it, or you can break the gear...it's only cast iron. Be careful getting it off, as well. Use a gear puller or same thing...you risk breaking off a tooth or worse.
    BTW...you might check and make sure the oil pump is spinning freely and not locked up for some reason.

steelcomp
    Don't listen to Steelcomp he is crazy !!! Just read what he writes. He is a Ford guy with a Chevy in his boat.
    Jim
    You're asking for it, butt head. :devil: :coffeycup

Squirtin Thunder
    If you need a stock type Prestolite Dist I have one I am not using I will take $60 for it if that helps.
    Jim
    codeblueracing2004@yahoo.com
    jrpm@npgcable.com

Squirtin Thunder
    As Ron says trans sexual boater.
    Or is that Buy sexual boater??
    All I know is that your are a Ford Guy and have a Chevy in your Boat and have another in your shop ready to build if someone wants it. I think it is a Bad 496 or something like that.
    Jim

Mighty Thor
    Now why Couldn't I think of that. I actuall thought the gear looked like it might be sitting a little out of position so I tried to remove the pin and it wouldn't budge so I quit and went home to ask you guys questions. Guess it is a little hard to drive the pin out with the ends sheared off!!! I am sure your right.
    Squirt,Thanks for the offer of the distributor, If this pin thing doesn't handle the problem I will probably get back to you. After I get this thing so it moves on its own I will start making some improvements and a new ignition system is probably first on the list.

steelcomp
    As Ron says trans sexual boater.
    Or is that Buy sexual boater??
    All I know is that your are a Ford Guy and have a Chevy in your Boat and have another in your shop ready to build if someone wants it. I think it is a Bad 496 or something like that.
    Jim
    when you have a REAL boat that REALLY runs, then you can talk. "Till then, step aside, spectator. :burningm:

Squirtin Thunder
    The engine runs very good !!!
    Do ya wanna go for a ride ???
    Jim

Mighty Thor
    Well, when I looked at the distributor this morning I immediately saw what I should have seen yesterday, the pin was sheared and the gear had slipped down so that the pin hole was acually above the sholder of the gear. Got it apart, repalced the pin and then checked the oil pump. Sure enough, it was stuck. :cry: Pulled the pump and took it apart and voila, there was a chunk of plastic stuck in there. No idea how that could have gotten through the screen. On the plus side, this engine was rumored to be a fresh rebuild just before the Jet Pump died. Visual inspection showed fresh machine marks on lots of surfaces, the piston skirts don't show hardly any wear and everything is clean clean clean. Guess I will bolt the thing back together and try it again. Thanks for the timely info everyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast