Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skiers and Boarders?

Boozer
    Are there any here on the forums?
    As the season is approaching I am curious as to what mountains are the best? A lot of my friends board but they like to ride terrain parks and thats not my bag. I preffer long runs that I can just flat out haul ass down. What mountains do you recommend that are wthin a couple hours of Chino? Also when is the best time to buy a season pass and where do I get one?
    I'm going to Denver on business the weekend after next and plan to bring back my board and gear so i can hit the slopes as soon as they open.
    Would anyone be interested in meeting up and hitting the slopes together when the season starts?

MAINEVENT
    Bear is pretty fun.... i think i am gonna back into boarding and try to teach the wifey how to so we should make a plan later down Z road for a day trip or weekend :rollside:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
    Mammoth is definately our favorite!! Its a bit further than Bear or Summit but worth it for sure. Me and the hubby used to average around 45 -60 days of riding a season up there. Then last winter we got dirt toys and did not go snowboarding once! :frown:
    Ahhhh, I want to go snowboarding now. :mix: :mix:

Mandelon
    Bear Mountain and Snow Summit ares close to you there. We go to Wrightwood and ride at Mountain High.
    They have a points ticket that works great for us. The points roll over so you can bank them like cell phone minutes. If you don't get 20 runs in, and most people don't, you can use the points on your next visit, and they can roll over to the next season too. You dont' have to stand in ticket lines and they have the longest downhill run in So Cal on the East Mountain. The West end can get crowded on weekends, but if you go midweek it is great.
    They make snow, but are pretty much subject to nature's whim. Otherwise you need to go to Mammoth. Its about a 4.5 hour drive for you up the 395. Greate skiing there.

Boozer
    Bear Mountain and Snow Summit ares close to you there. We go to Wrightwood and ride at Mountain High.
    They have a points ticket that works great for us. The points roll over so you can bank them like cell phone minutes. If you don't get 20 runs in, and most people don't, you can use the points on your next visit, and they can roll over to the next season too. You dont' have to stand in ticket lines and they have the longest downhill run in So Cal on the East Mountain. The West end can get crowded on weekends, but if you go midweek it is great.
    They make snow, but are pretty much subject to nature's whim. Otherwise you need to go to Mammoth. Its about a 4.5 hour drive for you up the 395. Greate skiing there.
    Great info Mandy I appreciate it! I will definitely be looking into their points deal and see if thats my best bet. Mountain High isnt very far from me either maybe an hour or so. Sounds like it might be a winner. Mammoth would be a possibility but if its that far away I'd have to make a weekend out of it instead of just day trips. Thats a lot of driving for a day trip.
    Mrs. Bordsmnj if you and the Mr. want to go hit the slopes sometime let me know and maybe we can meet up. I'm always eager to meet fellow riders.

AvengerBabe
    I personally wouldn't reccommend Mt. High unless both the east and west resorts are open. Otherwise the mountain is SUPER packed. It is a really tiny mountain too and without a decent amount of snow, the majority of the season only has a couple of runs open. You can make it from top to bottom in two minutes... I would reccommend Snow Summit or Bear Mountain. The mountains are much bigger (more area to spread people out on). The only downside is that the drive can be treacherous. I have seen way too many accidents on those roads and there is ALWAYS traffic. The good thing about Mt. High is that even if it dumps the night before, you only have to go about 1 mile in the snow and ice whereas with Bear and Snow Summit, it may be a death trap to try to drive up the mountain. Above all, though, Mammoth is th best! It is freekin' amazing up there. We always take a week and go up there. The mountain is HUGE and they always have tons of really great snow. UGH-- I can't wait to get out there again!

superdave013
    Summit has already started woring on the slopes. Poop Chute (Log Chute) is already closed to DH bike traffic as work is under way. DH season ends in 2 friggen weeks up there so they should have plenty of time to get it together.
    Bear seems to cater to boarders more. They even had some jib contest over the summer with man mad snow.

Reddy Too
    Mt. Baldy when they have snow. It is about 30-45 minutes from Chino.

bordsmnj
    boozer your from colorado ain't yuh? if so don't waste your time going local. the average long run where speed is do-able local is 10 feet long(not talking elevation here either)so as soon as you hit full speed it seems,your slamming on the brakes. local you also have to get there first thing in the morning to haul ass other wise there's just too many poeple. if you go local go on a week day then it's worth the drive up the mountain. also if you like steep stuff Baldy is the only place(close) you'll find it. just go to mammoth you'll be glad you did. best time to buy a pass there though is last april. -jas

bordsmnj
    Are there any here on the forums?
    Would anyone be interested in meeting up and hitting the slopes together when the season starts?
    I've been wanting to get a bunch of the ***boat crowd to get togather on the slopes for a couple seasons now but somehow it never happens. yeah we need to hit it this year i'm anxiously waiting to see if this el nino thing pans out. i too i'm not really interested in terrian parks much anymore. i'm into powder when i can get it. steep stuff and hualing ass are what i'm into. i could go down the street and break my neck in a half pipe any time i want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast