Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fool at the launching ramp Sunday....ME!

manuel
    Sunday after a day of fun on the river we head to the launching ramp, I back the van and trailer to the water and my friend sits in it to hold the brakes (because my parking brake is disconnected) while I guide the boat onto the trailer, then the van dies, she tries to start it but it won't, I climb out of the boat and try it but nothing happens, I had 1/4 tank when we got there so I knew that was not the problem but I popped the hood and looked at the clear fuel filter and it was EMPTY !, the angle we were parked at was too steep and the pick-up must of been out of the gas,
    by this time there were 2 boats waiting for this fool to get out of the way, nobody had a gas can and I had left my tow strap in the other van, someone went to the gas dock to find a gas can but they had already closed, I got an emty 2 liter plastic Coke bottle we had in the boat and undid the fuel line and turned on the key and waited for it to fill up, I did have a small funnel in the van for putting in oil, after 2 bottles it started up and we pulled away, luckily it was race day at Talladega (26 miles away) so things were a little slow on the river because of it I think, the traffic is bad for hours after the race and we try to stay off the roads,
    It was funny afterwards but I felt like an idiot while it was happening :redface: Manuel

lewiville
    the best part about it is that you handled the situation rather than sittin around and doin nothin.
    good job gettin out of there, especialy on a sunday........OOOHHH BBOOYY do people get pissed

Keithb87
    At least you did not let the van roll into the water and sink.. :notam:

Moneypitt
    And the e brake is disconected because______________?

jbtrailerjim
    At least you did not let the van roll into the water and sink.. :notam:
    Thats exactly where I thought the story was going, when I started reading it.

KrazyKa
    While at a launch ramp a gentleman "more seasoned than I" once told me, "Sometimes you watch the show. Sometimes you are the show."

dicudmore
    bummer dude....
    Glad you got it taken care of

LVJAKAZ
    Good for you!!! You didnt just sit around like a Jack A$$. I ALWAYS have trouble backing down the trailer...But im learning

Boatcop
    I back the van and trailer to the water.......
    Van???
    What is this? The Seventies?
    I didn't think anyone drove vans anymore.

manuel
    And the e brake is disconected because______________?
    When I bought it that's how they were, when I went to re-connect them I could not get enough slack, the rear end was swapped out to a 3.73 Posi-trac so I need to measure the cables and compare and see what I need because I don't trust just being in "park" that's why I get someone to hold the brakes, I've seen 2 rigs roll-in, VERY ugly sight, Manuel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast