Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Final New Boat Update****

BoatFloating
    As many of my Cats and Tunnels brothers and D Row family know I took delivery on my 4th Carrera a 290 Effect Cat with twin 300x wacka's The first weekend in August. The motors were rigged by Lakeland Marine in Havasu. This deal was something that took alot of time and energy on my part to make it run smoothly. Bottom line I love the boat and it's been a fun rest of the summer.
    How it worked was I bought the boat from Carrera with everything but the motors. Lakeland gave me a estimate for the rigging and the motors purchase. To get a great intrest rate I had to sign loan docs before the boat was done about a month before. So Lakeland was paid in full before they did anything. So when boat gets to Lakeland and they do the rigging and I finally take delivery they hand me a bill for $4500 more than the estimate said it would be. Now I knew it would be a little more because Carrera decided it would be better for Lakeland to do all the steering and throttle cables and run Hyd steering as they would know better the lengths needed. So when I picked up the boat Carrera told me they would cover the labor and the parts needed for that. So of that $4500 hundred their parts was $670 and maybe 5 hours of labor.
    Here is the problem I have with bill. When Lakeland was rigging the motors and they knew that they were going to go quite a bit over my estimate why wouldn't they let me know before I show up to pick boat up and surprise me with that bill. This is pretty much the problem I had with the deal with Lakeland. They told me that Carrera was supposed to have the boat done and that's why they went way over the estimate. The hours alone was over by 30 hours of the original est. Carrera had the boat complete except for the cables and Hyd steering as mentioned above and Carrera was going to pay me back after Lakeland gave me the bill. Again my biggest problem was the fact that Lakeland didn't contact me at let me know the original estimate wasn't going to be close to the final bill. I always thought when you sign a estimate that if they go above that they must call you to get your approval. To their credit Lakeland has been great to deal with and have done a good job picking up and fixing little things as needed (Merc Warranty stuff). So I'm happy with the work and the way I was treated just not the surpise when I picked it up.
    So here is the big thanks and credit where credit is due. Aftershock/Carrera who lately has taken a beating on things in the Sandbar stepped up big time. They knew they owed me money for the cables and labor which was about $1000. I told them that Lakeland said alot of the labor Lakeland added to my bill was caused by them and Carrera had their doubts on that as I did and called Lakeland. So when Alex talked with Lakeland and they said it was what it was Alex and I agreed that he would step up and send me a check for $2K to cover some of the overage. So big props to the guys at Aftershock/Carrera for the help as they covered something that wasn't their deal. I too was skeptical of the merger of the 2 companies but my fears have been put to bed. I was there weekly watching my boat being built and was impressed on the way it was put together. Like any new company that picks up a new product line there is going to be growing pains. The bottom line is they've taken care of me and I feel good about the boat, service and quailty of the product.
    So all in all another new boat on the water...

OutCole'd
    Glad to hear Carrera / Aftershock took care of you!! Customer Service is what it is all about in todays business.

phebus
    I don't know about you guys, but I am kind of skeptical of a new guy with only 2,361 posts coming on here and propping up a company.
    Actually, it's nice to see someone with some time and credibility coming on here and stating their good experiences with a company. I am personally sick of newbies with virtually zero previous posts, using this forum to bash companies with an intent to manipulate them. It's time we give no credence to them, but it amazes me how many people jump right on the bandwagon, only to find out when the truth comes out how wrong they were.
    Anyway, enough of my banter.....
    Thanks Rocky

BoatFloating
    Thanks guys..... I'm not trying to say that other people who post don't have issues I'm just saying that mine have been real positive....

Reaper1
    That was nice of Carrera to step up and do that for you. I'll tell you one thing, "29 LIVES" makes a hell of a late night channel party machine. :crossx:

TOBTEK
    good to hear that everything went OK....but why didnt you have carrera do the complete rigging job inc'ing motors? was it less expensive subing it out?

BoatFloating
    good to hear that everything went OK....but why didnt you have carrera do the complete rigging job inc'ing motors? was it less expensive subing it out?
    Couple reasons. Carrera and Aftershock alike haven't done a bunch of Outboards. Carrera did one 257 and Aftershock did a 24' Deck Boat with a single 300x that they had San Diego Eliminator do the motor rigging. I figured Lakeland would be the best choice to make sure it was done right.The second was the 300x can't be purchased in CA legally anymore. So this made it easier. I don't know how DCB does it I would imagine Dave has some sort of out of state address so he can get them sent to. On the box it says in big bold letters Not For Sale In California....

SummerObsession
    That's great to hear!
    Sounds like everyone went out of their way to make your purchase a good one.
    I think you 're very lucky.
    You referred to Lakeland giving you an "estimate" and not a bid. Estimates to me are worthless. It only gives you a rough idea of what it MIGHT cost.
    If it was a bid, they would have had no right to charge anymore than that bid without asking/telling you first.
    Just a thought.

Sandbar Mike
    Thats bullshit,
    I would figure an estimate is exactly what it should cost. Of course followed up by a purchase agreement.
    Oh well, the boat sure turned out sweet.
    I never did get the top speed out of you yet, I'm curious being how close our boats are with running surface and weight??
    You doing Havasu anymore this season? We are going a few more time this month, hopefully see you out there.
    Don't forget the Monster Drinks, :supp:

SHOCKWAVETOM
    Sounds good. Glad you got taken care of to everybody's satisfaction. WIN, WIN, WIN...that is the name of the game

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast