Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Riverliver needs 100mph

SVO 540
    Riverliver,
    I thought I would start a new string. I didn't want to go on and on with the mr havasu cat string.
    I am hopeful that this post will generate alot of suggestions for riverliver. Also, riverliver is a very good friend of mine and we could do this over the phone by why not make it a group thing.
    Here are the facts:
    1. Riverliver has a 25 Daytona, closed deck with a non-EFI HP500 motor.
    2. Riverliver is very hard on parts, he has blown up a HP500 motor and a stock Bravo I outdrive.
    3. His first Bravo had 1.50 gears and a 28 pitch prop. This combo ran 82 at 5200 rpm until he blew it up. This nets a slip of 10%.
    4. His second Bravo had 1.36 gears (so he could soup up his motor later and have the right gear). This uses a 24 pitch prop and runs 75 mph at 5000 rpm. This is also a slip of 10%.
    Now we all know riverliver's slip calcs. What does this tell us. It tells us that it takes more power to spin a small prop faster than a big prop slower. It takes more power (torque) to spin a 1.36 gear and 24 prop than a 1.50 gear and 28 prop.
    OK, so now what? How do we get riverliver to 100 mph? Let's assume riverliver slaps his 28 pitch prop back on with his 1.36 gear. Using his slip number of 10%, he would need to spin his motor exactly 5700 rpm.
    This is the question I was hoping the readers of this could answer. How to we get that HP500 to turn 5700 rpm? Remember, riverliver is hard on parts. I personally think an 8:71 sitting on top of a superchiller is the way to go. Add 2 big carbs, lock out the distributor, back of the timing and your there. There are other options like procharger, vortech, wipple, turbos, etc.
    For sure riverliver must either beef up that outdrive or change his driving style. Speaking of driving style, he almost pitched me and all of our buddies out of his boat rounding the corner to the sandbar. That Daytona sure can hook a sponson when it hits a wave just right and riverliver is driving.
    Tell riverliver what you think.
    Mr. Slip, aka SVO 540 - OUT

rivercrazy
    Break out the wallet!!! All it takes is large recurring flows of cash

Havasu Hangin'
    "blow-er...blow-er"...the chant starts out of the crowd..."blow-er...blow-er...blow-er..."
    http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/foru...es/happy25.gif

RiverToysJas
    Speed costs money, how fast does he want to go?
    RTJas

racingrascal
    Is the 500 stock? He can do some changes to that motor to pick up power. The new 500 efi with all of the bolt on's is a 850 hp motor. (Just read it in one of the Offshore mags.) Do some roller rockers, cam, blower, carbs. That should give hime another 100-150 hp. If I am not mistakings it take's 750hp in a Daytona to do 104? Maybe I am all confused but that's my .02
    Andy

Craig
    The blower route is the way to go! Add a couple of Holleys, a good cam, beef up the support systems, ignition, fuel delivery. Is it a single or dual step Daytona? The dual step doesn't porpoise as bad at mid range, but takes more power to get to 100.
    Craig

riverliver
    Thanks for the topic Mr. Slip (svo540)
    it looks as if the blower is the way to go.
    It apears that 250 to 300 extra ponies will be needed to get there.
    The hull is a 2 step with the motor a hp500 stock and a hp bravo one drive.
    Yes this will cost MONEY$$$$$$$
    Maybe 7 to 10K
    Yes your right Mr. Slip I do drive it hard.
    (Go hard or go home)
    As for the corner at the sandbar, you forgot to mention the assh**** that cut us off, it was either hit him or hook that sponson.

SVO 540
    Originally posted by DEL51:
    If you want to increase the power of the hp 500,depending on static compression ratio,I would recommend a high quality 871-1071 blower.I like littlefield or Kuhl.If you can get an intercooler from PFM,it would add at least 75 hp.2(800-850-cfm) holley carbs and an msd Ignition.Blower cam would aid Idling.Quality exhaust system is a must to achieve maximum torque.I have heard alot about lightning headers.How old is the engine?If you go with a larger blower you can use it for a future upgrade to a larger cubic inch engine.Can this drive handle the power? Maybe this should be addressed before you upgrade the power.Read the previous posts about carbs and boost.I am assuming the compression ratio is not more than 9:1 on the hp 500.Is this motor going to be rebuilt?You will receive more suggestions,so a little more info on whether you intend to just bolt this stuff on and go or rebuild the engine.If the latter,I can give you some good tips on parts choice.For example,If you do rebuild the engine,installation of low compression blower pistons would help you run more boost than stock pistons.More boost = more torque,to a point, then other factors come into play.There are some people on this forum with more expertise than I, but I have 2 supercharged engines that I have learned much from.Good Luck! DEL51
    This was posted by DEL51 in the Blower Motor section. I had asked the guys over there to lend a hand with this string.
    Del51, Let riverliver answer your questions, they are good questions.
    I got a few more facts on the HP500 motor. You can spin the motor to 5700 or 5800 rpm. This is because it is the non-efi version and doesn't have the efi rev limiter in it. The compression ratio is 8.8:1.
    Here is a 25 Daytona stat I learned. It takes approx 700 hp to hit 100mph, but I think this is the single step hull.
    racingrascal, I agree with your stat. I heard with 750hp the boat should go 105mph. However, a good friend of mine has a single step 25 Daytona with about 850hp and he has a top speed best of 107mph.

SVO 540
    I forgot to add that the HP500 comes with a single 800 cfm carb. If riverliver went with 2 800 cfm carbs, could he use the one that is currently on the motor and only need to buy one new carb?
    Sorry about the sad face in the last post. Let's get hot boat to change the default to a happy face.

rivercrazy
    I think the carb used on the hp500 is a Holley 9022 duel feed double pumper with mechanical secondaries. I bought this carb for my 454 a while back. Its a good one.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast