Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Best bang for buck 460 recipes?

LakesOnly
    Everyone see the Dick Sword Fighting?
    I'm Out.
    LO

First let me correct myself on the different sized oil passages between blocks. I was confusing that statement with FE's. No harm there. Thanks for the friendly correction.
    The reason for drilling the passage between the filter and the pump is that when you blend the passage into the filter pad you have a larger entry and the restriction for the change in direction is much less. I drill it to 9/16 thru, and then 5/8 for about the last inch, and blend that into the filter pad. It's the first shot out of the oil pump, and I also match the hole from the pump to the block. IMO, anytime you can lessen restriction anywhere in the oil system, especially right out of the pump, the better. Even more so for a system that's not 100% as the 385.
    058...you're right. The stock oil system is good for about 7000. As long as ytou're not making more than about 700 hp. The 385 is the same as a cleveland, and the same mods that work with a cleveland, work with it. Maybe you guys are smarter than Jack Roush, but he pioneered the oil restrictors for his cleveland motors a long time ago. What we used to do for them, and I've done on one 429, is take oil right off the main oil galley and run a manifold inside the lifter galley and directly oil the mains. There's a number of ways to do it...none of which are too complicated. I'm not sure, however, that you have a lot of control over lifter bore fit unless you're going to bush the bores, or? The theory is correct, but how do you apply? Buy a thousand lifters and hope you find 8 that are a few tenths or a thou big?
    LO...if you're loosing cam bearings, it's because of something else, but I'll let you figure that out. Oil restrictors have been used in 429/460's for a long time. I've never lost a cam brg. I've also run them with no restrictors with no problems. Go figure!
    ...oh, and by thew way, you aren't going to put any more pressure on the filter by enlarging the passage between it and the pump. "Pressure is equal and even in all directions", (it's a physics thing) and the only way to raise the pressure anywhere in the system is to raise the pressure in the pump.
    Man, I stopped participating on this thread because new information was coming up that was not accurate, but enough is enough! This thread with great information is becoming tainted.
    yeah, you mean like putting four bolt caps on a two bolt block, and boring a 385 .160" over? I totally agree.
    I didn't mean to chase you off your thread, here, LO. I thought it was for open discussion, but you seem to have a different idea. So, what...your info was the great info? All bow to lakes ohhh. You might not believe this, but you aren't the only one here who knows a little about Fords. You seem to have a lot of text available...specs and casting no's and info like that. That's cool. It answers a lot of questions. But you need to chill when it comes to YOUR opinion, and calling someone elses' stupid. You've posted some pretty "interesting" things here yourself. It's not impressive, and you're no John Caase, IMO.
    058...it's oil galley, not gallery.Since you are bent on correcting me and others because you cannot admit you are wrong here goes: A galley is a place on a ship where food is prepared, a gallery is a passageway....Look it up. My definition is from the Office Edition of Webster's New Riverside Dictionary. Second: What does horsepower have to do with oiling? Either it oils or it doesn't, so according to you if my engine makes 701 hp the oiling system is inadaquate? In your infinite wisdom what would you do to improve this totally inadaquate system? Third: the restrictors you so lovingly refer to are the restrictors threaded into the driver side lifter bank passage [gallery] of the 351 C as it comes off the #5 main bearing saddle. This is the only basic difference of the system between the 351C and the 460. Fourth: If you really knew the architecture of the 460 you would know ANY block can be 4 bolted regardless of block type, cast web or machined web block. I have done both. fifth: It does very little to drill the pump passage to filter pad to 5/8" as it will not flow much more oil than the 1/2" passage that ALL 460s are from the factory since the oil pump passage [gallery] is only about 1/2". There is only one thing worse than no information and that is bad information. I'm very happy to set you straight as I'm sure you will be able to use this new found info. in your engine building career.

steelcomp
    Since you are bent on correcting me and others because you cannot admit you are wrong here goes: A galley is a place on a ship where food is prepared, a gallery is a passageway....Look it up. My definition is from the Office Edition of Webster's New Riverside Dictionary. Second: What does horsepower have to do with oiling? Either it oils or it doesn't, so according to you if my engine makes 701 hp the oiling system is inadaquate? In your infinite wisdom what would you do to improve this totally inadaquate system? Third: the restrictors you so lovingly refer to are the restrictors threaded into the driver side lifter bank passage [gallery] of the 351 C as it comes off the #5 main bearing saddle. This is the only basic difference of the system between the 351C and the 460. Fourth: If you really knew the architecture of the 460 you would know ANY block can be 4 bolted regardless of block type, cast web or machined web block. I have done both. fifth: It does very little to drill the pump passage to filter pad to 5/8" as it will not flow much more oil than the 1/2" passage that ALL 460s are from the factory since the oil pump passage [gallery] is only about 1/2". There is only one thing worse than no information and that is bad information. I'm very happy to set you straight as I'm sure you will be able to use this new found info. in your engine building career.
    I don't even know where to begin with this kind of assinine crap, and since you guys wabnt to turn this into someting personal, and MAKE it a "penis sword fight", to each their own. You're both a couple of amatures spreading bad info that I think should be corrected. If you think talinkg some poor sap into installing four bolt mains on his thin web 460 is good engine building and/or good business, that's too bad. I don't. You just repeated what I said about restrictors. I didn't say I drilled the passage 5/8. I said I enlarge it to 9/16, which is closer to the oil pump passage dia, and not to flow more oil pre se, just to make a better transition to the filter pad. I already told you what I have done to improvew the oiling..installed a main priority system and eliminate the problem. Why are you trying to be so arbitrary? 058...you sound like a lakes groupie. But thanks for setting me straight.

steelcomp
    Everyone see the Dick Sword Fighting?
    I'm Out.
    LO
    Funny YOU would bring this up. :cry: :cry:

steelcomp
    Core Attitude is building a lake boat that will never see 6000 rpm. None of this is necessary.
    LO
    You're entitled to your opinion. I'm a little more detail oriented than that.

steelcomp
    you missed it. Pressure and flow may increase slightly up to the filter now, but the passage downstream of the filter remains the same size. Pump ultimatel bypasses and so nothingis gained downstream of the filter.
    You just don't get it, do you?

Squirtin Thunder
    fifth: It does very little to drill the pump passage to filter pad to 5/8" as it will not flow much more oil than the 1/2" passage that ALL 460s are from the factory since the oil pump passage [gallery] is only about 1/2". There is only one thing worse than no information and that is bad information. I'm very happy to set you straight as I'm sure you will be able to use this new found info. in your engine building career
    OK OK OK OK !!!!!
    Everybody put your dicks back in your pants !!!
    I started this so I will try and finish it.
    Any engine, even those chevys will benifit from a little smoothing. If you see something that is rough or abrupt transition it needs to be smoothed out. I always recomend a stock oil pump for the engines I do because you don't need 100psi of oil presure. If your block is prepared correctly and all your machine work is done properly a stock oil pump is more than suficiant, 70+psi. All I was trying to do is open these peoples eyes as to what would help engine life. HP is not my concern it is engine life in extreem conditions, Desert Racing, running wide open at 5300 for 20 miles in your jetboat. Smoothing and blending is the key to life on this particular tread. Pump the oil up as smoothly as you can and then get it back to the pan as quick as you can so you can do it again.
    No one needs to get crazy here. Everyone has there idea of how the engine should be done. :argue: Ask ten engine builders and you will get ten different answers that are all similar. :argue: This tread is to help and educate alll.
    Jim

steelcomp
    LIke I said in the beginning of this...there was a lot of good info on this thread. There was no reason to get personal, but I guess your little toes got stepped on. I really don't give a rat's a$$ about who PM'd you, or what they said. No one on this board really knows anything about me or my experience except what I've been wiling to post. I see that sometimes there's a problem in communiacting like this, and often times things are taken out of context or mis understood. Not here. What I'm hearing is that your way is the only way, and right or wrong, anyone who differs in your opinion or has conflicting views is wrong, and just trying to have a "dick sword fight". That's really grown up. That's not something I want to get involved in, nor will I, and since thats the gutter this seems to have been dragged into, I'll stay on the side walk thank you, and you can wallow where you will.

LIke I said in the beginning of this...there was a lot of good info on this thread. There was no reason to get personal, but I guess your little toes got stepped on. I really don't give a rat's a$$ about who PM'd you, or what they said. No one on this board really knows anything about me or my experience except what I've been wiling to post. I see that sometimes there's a problem in communiacting like this, and often times things are taken out of context or mis understood. Not here. What I'm hearing is that your way is the only way, and right or wrong, anyone who differs in your opinion or has conflicting views is wrong, and just trying to have a "dick sword fight". That's really grown up. That's not something I want to get involved in, nor will I, and since thats the gutter this seems to have been dragged into, I'll stay on the side walk thank you, and you can wallow where you will.
    Steelcomp..You say it shouldn't get personal but yet you correct people's spelling, grammer and the use of certain words, ["galley" come to mind?] If you don't want it to get personal don't make it personal. Perhaps you should make better use of your spell-check or at least proof read your post before hastly hitting the reply key. You say we don't know anything about you, well your right, I don't know a thing about you except you critisize other people's experences [read 4 bolting mains] when I have done it and put it into use with no failures. If you are interested I can send you pictures of the 1st 4 bolt conversion I did on a D1VE block....thats a cast web block in case you didn't know. You aren't the only one to build engines, there are a few others here that have some experence too and even fewer that has real, honest-to-God hands on experence, not just reading it in Carcraft magazine.

Squirtin Thunder
    You aren't the only one to build engines, there are a few others here that have some experence too and even fewer that has real, honest-to-God hands on experence, not just reading it in Carcraft magazine.
    I didn't even know Carcaft magazine was still around.
    Jim

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast