Thread: Bottoms-Drop Keel, Bubble

PC Rat
    I'm not sure that I really understand what a bottom with a drop keel is. Does it mean that starting from the front, the keel line slowly drops so when it gets to the intake it is lower than the intake?
    Also, approximately how long is a bubble, and how thick? I have some pictures of one but it is hard to tell.
    Brian

Its simply adding material (epoxy and or fiberglass) to the existing keel, making it deeper or dropped, and its also drawn out and made longer. Theres really no point in screwing with the keel up in the front of the boat, you just want to focus on the wetted areas. So you get the idea of how much longer the dropped portion of the keel is made.Maybe a few feet at the most.
    Alot of guys have tried to explain this by telling us to put a spoon under a faucet and watching how the water flows on the spoon.Imagine the intake inlet being where the tip of the spoon ends.
    Im no expert, but I believe it aids in getting lift out of the boat, and more importantly loading the pump better. I think about it all the time, and I think the idea is to get the water to stay along the keel line where its dropped, and then to have a nice smooth gradual bend from the dropped keel right into the intake inlet.I think the water can follow a contour like that more easily than a stock keel shape.The idea is to get the water into the intake and not have it go by the intake. Ive been told water does not like to bend at high speeds,and I believe it as I have problems picking up water at about 100 mph and above, and I hear at 110-120 its even harder to get water.
    Like I said Im no expert,and I really have not had this coversation with the pros, so Im just kind of assuming things here, but since no one replied, I thought Id chip in.
    Are you planning on doing the bottom of the Place or you just curious?

PC Rat
    Mostly just curious. I'm not doing anything to the Placecraft since it's for sale. I bought a 21' Daytona and I'm trying to figure out what exactly has been done to the bottom. Do the Daytonas come with a drop keel from Eliminator?
    Brian

Ken F
    The purpose of a dropped keel is to help load the intake at high speed. The depth and length are determined by the speed where you plan to run the boat and the wetted surface at that speed. Depths vary greatly depending on the hull and speed you wish to attain.
    Look at it this way:
    The water does not move unless made to. When your boat passes over the water, it displaces the water in the shape of your hull. As soon as your hull passes over the water it wants to return to the level it was at. So, by adding a dropped keel, you are causing the water to be pushed deeper away from the hull, and it will want to return into your intake to help load your pump. Hope that is clear.
    I don't know for sure if Daytonas come with a dropped keel from the builder, but I would doubt it. Usually they are added to a boat at extra cost, and it probably isnt going to help any until you get over the century mark.
    Ken F

No they dont come with the altered keel, atleast Im yet to hear of one thats from the factory that way.
    You will have to compare it to a stock bottom to see whats been done, or take some accurate measurements and compare notes.
    I can look at the bottom of a 19 and visually see the differences and changes that have been made compared to my stock bottom.

ARS Marine inc.east
    My Eliminator had a Flat Keel on it untill
    I Glassed a Drop keel on it
    It will create more lift and load the pump with water,
    Its almost like force feeding the Pump or supercharging it
    My hardware setup went 180' in the other direction once I Dialed it in
    The boat GAINED about a Good 15 MPH
    Before the Keel I wasnt able to reach 30psi with out having the shoe hang about .875 7/8 below the keel "Very Dangerouis" on the shut down
    After I did the mod I run a .375 3/8 total shoe .
    I have a lot of experiance Glassing Boats If you want to attempt it yourself Call me First I can fill you in on some Details .