Thread: Carb selection

vidrinek
    I have a Taylor SJ powered by a 455 Olds. No tricks, just a mild cam and an Offy tunnel ram and an Edelbrock 750 carb. My problem is that when I accelerate through the midrange, I get a hesitation when the secondaries start to open up. As I accelerate more, it goes away. This hesitation only occurs at about 3600 RPMs. I am thinking about going to a dual carb setup and I am wondering it this will fix the problem. I also have thought about trying a Holley double pumper. If I do choose the dual carb option, what carbs. should I choose. Thanks.

DickDanger
    I have a Holley 650 double pumper on my boat, and I love it. But you can pretty much watch the gas gauge go down when your foot in is the gas, but so far, I have had zero problems with it. Just remember to inspect and clean, or replace the fuel filters in the carb, as well as the one by the fuel pump.

DickDanger
    I have a Holley 650 double pumper on my boat, and I love it. But you can pretty much watch the gas gauge go down when your foot in is the gas, but so far, I have had zero problems with it. Just remember to inspect and clean, or replace the fuel filters in the carb, as well as the one by the fuel pump.

DickDanger

77Spectra
    I would bet at the time the secondaries open you are starving for fuel. I would recomend a Holly Marine 850. It is a double pumper with mechanical secondaries. You will be able to ajust to perfection and later if you ever get crazy you will have the CFM. The 650 marine is ok for bone stock, but we use those in owr small block inboard ski boats. Spectras only, who posts here, can tell you the best jet selection for that carb.

rivercrazy
    Spectra's right on. Get a Marine double pumper/mechanical secondaries on a jet boat. It will rev faster and accelerate better.