Thread: impeller question

cougarkid
    i have a friend with a 1978 eliminator with a 460 ford
    it has good heads a comp cam edelbrock intake 800cfm holley bassett headers.the question is he is doing his jet it has a "b" impeller in itand he is turning 4800 rpm he is thinking about going to a "a" impeller what rpm should he expect also will he lose speed
    he ran 72 mph on gps any help would be much appreciated.
    this site rocks!!!!!!

mister460
    I think he should be revving higher than that with his setup. He should be making quite a bit of power. There's a chart on one of the impeller dealers websites. Can't remember which one. But I think it's a couple hundred rpm per cut; something like 300-400 rpm. I'd go with the "A" cut and juice the motor a bit. Just like on a prop boat-bigger impeller+more power=more thrust!

flat broke
    Cougar kid,
    As MR460 stated, by the sound of the motor, you should be seeing more than 4800 with a "B" cut impeller. Those are RPM you would typically see with an A cut impeller and a healthy 460. By any chance is your friend running an Aggressor impeller? The reason I ask is because of their design they tpically run about a cut lower than the Legend/Berk/ impellers. An example would be that an Aggressor B is roughly equal to a Berk A in the RPM you would see on the same motor.
    Before your friend throws money down on a new impeller, you need to make sure that 1. his tach is accurate, 2. Find out what make of impeller he is running 3. if the tach is accurate and its not an Aggressor impeller, find out where he's losing his RPMs. He might want to perform some basic diagnostics on the motor such as compression and leak down tests, plug check, total timing check etc. It would suck for him to buy the A and lose RPM because he would more than likely lose a couple of MPH as well. If the motor checks out okay, I would say stick with the impeller he has. 72mph at 4800RPM is pretty good, so the pump doesn't sound sloppy. If you need to look up impeller charts you can go to my site at http://www.liquidaddiction.net/impeller.html
    Good luck,
    Chris www.liquidaddiction.net (http://www.liquidaddiction.net)

cougarkid
    he is runing a berkley jet thanks for the help!!!

77charger
    72 at 4800 rpm with a b impeller.Is that pump blueprinted or is there really a b impeller in there.i had an turing that much and it was only 68.now runnin a b+and 5100 speed unknown at the moment.

cougarkid
    ok here is the deal!!!
    the motor is a 1973 429 block with a 460 crank scj rods the comp is 10.5:1 it has dov heads with 2.19"intake valve with 1.65 exhaust as well they are fully ported it has a offy dual port intake with a comp cam 278h duration 278 in 292ex with lobe lift of .564 in and .566ex an 800 holley with basset headers fired by a mallory unilite distributor.with a berkley pump with a "b" impeller THE JET IS OUT SO IT IS DEFINITLY A "B" IMPELLER.the jet makes funny noises could this contribute to the lack of rpm
    any help would be much appriciated!!!!!!!!!!

77charger
    sounds like very healthy bbf.your pump is very effecient.i run a bbf 429 with a b+ legend impeller and it will turn 5k-5100 and 54-5500 on NOS speed is unknown right now.at your rpm and speed i would leave it alone.Noise could be coming from a worn bowl bushing.(shaft could be bouncing in there.

FoMoCo
    OK I think you should Definently be turnin more R's.. I am runnin a BBF 429 with 11:1 compression C9VE heads with 2.19 & 1.76 valves, a Comp Cam 280AR Solid Roller.. topped of with a Weiand tunnel ram and 2 750DP Holleys!! Its in a 18ft Kachina with a Berk JG pump with a MPD prepped B+ impeller. I am runnin 5500 rpm's, and soon hopefully 6K on the juice!!! check the pump, fuel supply, timming, ETC!! But 72 MPH is not Bad!!!! I hope this Helps!!

77charger
    Originally posted by FoMoCo:
    OK I think you should Definently be turnin more R's.. I am runnin a BBF 429 with 11:1 compression C9VE heads with 2.19 & 1.76 valves, a Comp Cam 280AR Solid Roller.. topped of with a Weiand tunnel ram and 2 750DP Holleys!! Its in a 18ft Kachina with a Berk JG pump with a MPD prepped B+ impeller. I am runnin 5500 rpm's, and soon hopefully 6K on the juice!!! check the pump, fuel supply, timming, ETC!! But 72 MPH is not Bad!!!! I hope this Helps!!
    6k on the bottle will happen.and you will wonder why that bottle went so quick i'm in the process of searching for one more bottle.

cougarkid
    thanks for the help!!!!!