Thread: head gasket replacement info please Tech question

kingjason
    Ok since I am pretty mechanically inclined but new to boat motors I need some help. The motor on my boat looks new inside so I am just assuming they used normal head gaskets. I got a real nice milkshake on both sides it seams and my intake did not look sealed up to well. Sooo here goes a few questions.
    1. What is the difference in the marine and normal head gaskets.
    2. Is there a different intake gasket for marine or do you just use the valley pan with special gasket sealer.
    3 do you use any sealar on the head gaskets or just bolt them on.
    4. is the water pressure regulator a must for long gasket life or is it just some say its better and some dont.
    5. are thre any good articles one of you tech masters have wrote on doing the head gaskets or will I just be trial by fire.
    6. where do you guys get your parts, gaskets, etc. Summit had them for like 65.00 a piece.
    Sorry about so many question but I just want to get it write the first time.
    OLS 455 by the way

wsuwrhr
    Ok since I am pretty mechanically inclined but new to boat motors I need some help. The motor on my boat looks new inside so I am just assuming they used normal head gaskets. I got a real nice milkshake on both sides it seams and my intake did not look sealed up to well. Sooo here goes a few questions.
    1. What is the difference in the marine and normal head gaskets.
    2. Is there a different intake gasket for marine or do you just use the valley pan with special gasket sealer.
    3 do you use any sealar on the head gaskets or just bolt them on.
    4. is the water pressure regulator a must for long gasket life or is it just some say its better and some dont.
    5. are thre any good articles one of you tech masters have wrote on doing the head gaskets or will I just be trial by fire.
    6. where do you guys get your parts, gaskets, etc. Summit had them for like 65.00 a piece.
    Sorry about so many question but I just want to get it write the first time.
    OLS 455 by the way
    If you are running exhaust logs, you probably don't need a regulator. If you over the transom headers, you definitely need to.
    Sounds like it was leaking from the intake manifold.
    Mr gasket sells fiber gaskets for your manifold, do not use the stamped steel gasket.
    If you are new to boats, be careful with the OLDS, if the oiling system is stock, it will not take high RPMs for long amounts of time.
    Brian

Mighty Thor
    gotta agree with brian, and add that Felpro makes a good highpro head gasket with a sealing ring around each cylinder and I have never had a water leak into a cylinder with one of these gaskets. In my experience, unless you warp a head, these things will stay sealed till you take them out.

moneysucker
    I use Felpro gaskets. I do not use a regulator and didn't on my olds either. I did use a basset T on the headers but it was gutted. I used a ball valve at my seat to control header water. If you do not want to use a pressure regulator I would reccomend annother dump for the out water that will prevent an over charge oin the block. As for oiling problems in olds motors, 10 qt oil pan is a good idea. I have heard that sticking pipe cleaners down the push rods helps to keep oil in the bottom end also. I never use the rubber ends for the intake gasket either instead I use a bead of Ultra black RTV. Install the head gasket like you would in a car and you will be fine. Most likely the leak was at the front corner of the intake gasket by the water inlet. Make sure all the bolts are tight on the next one possibly re torque after running for a while.

Moneypitt
    The small water passages are also an area of concern in a Marine application. If the gaskets don't have embossed sealer around water passages add a small bead of silicone when installing the head gaskets, on the block, and on the gasket top side...........MP

kingjason
    Its a CV-21 so I do have logs. So no sealnt on the head gaskets just buy the fel pro put them on and go with it??. Also if I use the fiber gaskets at the intake no Sealant there either. Just black RTV on the ends. Cool I can do that. I know about the end parts I have blown a few of them out on engine when they backfired before pops showed me that trick. The intake poped of so easily with the metal gasket that I would not be shocked if it was the intake buut while I got it down this far I might as well pull the heads. It was puttin quite a bit of water out the dipstick at idle so I am not sure the intake alone would leak that bad.
    thanks for the answers

Mighty Thor
    I tend to put a light coat of sealant on everything, but that is a matter of choice. The board is full of examples where someone got carried away with the sealant and it got sucked up where it didn't belong. When in doubt, follow the manufactures instructions. These guys do this for a living and have spent a lot of time and effort in trying to create a product that works.