Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeller question?

racingrascal
    I am building a new 19' Ultra Shadwow with something in the area of 900-1000 hp. My question is what type of impeller should it have? It has a Berk. with a loader and a b impeller. The impeller they have put in it is an aluminum impeller. How much HP and rpm will it handle? And what is a brand new never been run B impeller worth? Or how much would a stainless cost? Thanks you for the help!
    Andy

froggystyle
    You should call Wes at Ultra and ask him. He just built a 900-1000 hp pickelfork recently and went down that same road... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    J/K Andy. I would go with a detailed Berk "A" impeller for starters. See how it runs, and start playing with other stuff down the road. A used "B" cut aluminum will cost around $100-$200 depending on the quality and style of the cut, as well as the condition of the impeller. A stainless impeller is the deal, as far as out of the box performance goes. They run around $800 and are a bolt on improvement to a stock impeller, but comparable to a well detailed stocker. Cutting them is a bitch though.
    If you want, I am doing a comparison test between A's and B's in OTR. I will swap you my A for your B if you want. That will help me with my testing. Save me from cutting the "A" and help you out. I plan on staying with the "A", but I am going to try a "B" just to quiet some theories running around about a mph increase by cutting the impeller.

beached1
    I asked jack at MPD about stainless. He said, only if you are around 600hp and up will it benefit. Looks like you meet that criteria.

DEL51
    Racingrascal,Have you had your engine dyno'd to see where the power band is? This can help you determne what impeller size you want.I would go with the stainless and have one of the shops balance it.you may want to experiment with a couple different sizes and see how each performs.Keep us posted on your progress.DEL51

nitro557
    what rpm are you planning on turning ?on my new boat im gonna run a ss b because i need to get up to 6500rpm plus to really use my motor,if your motor stops pulling after 5500-6000 rpm go with an a if more go with a b and go with a ss if you dont and it jumps out of the water while under power when it comes back in the alu imp will fold it cant hold the load

SOUTHWIND377
    Well considering if you are truely making 900-1000hp which the only way to tell is dyno it, then I would suggest that you use a stainless impellar for sure and depending on the rpm range you want the motor to run in would help you pick an impellar. I would consider a A.

racingrascal
    The reason I am not sure of the hp yet is they were dynoing the motor yesterday and I haven't heard the results yet. I do believe the motor is suppose to turn 6,800 rpm. But so fare it sounds like I am going to have to buy a ss impeller to get by. I didn't really want to spend the money on it right now, but from what you guys are saying it will brake right away. I will post the hp and rpm when I find out. Thanks again for the help.
    Andy

Boater Bill
    RR - that alum ain't gonna last too long and why be unhappy or broke down right outta the box with that bitchen ride. You need to get your components matched up or all you've done is just spent a bunch of money for nothing. I have a B ss sitting in my garage. Had Jack look at it when he rebuilt my pump last month and although its hurt he told me to save it cause it could be salvaged if I wanted to install in the future. Let me know if I can help here. Froggy, I'd like to be able to buy a new ss for $800, you must have a connection!

rivercrazy
    With the power your running in that 540, I doubt you will need an impeller as small as a B. I bet your motor has the beans to turn it at the rpms the motor is rated to turn. However, you boat is light so a B would still probably work well. The trade off is running about 300 rpms more for a given speed versus rpm. I'd go with a A SS impeller and have it reworked and made lighter. At 18 pounds it takes a lot of power to turn it at higher rpms. Jack or Greg Shoemaker can probably do a good job reworking and detailing it. If you not happy with an A you could always turn it down to an A/B or a B.

HBjet
    RR, you just couldn't listen to me last night huh? I'm telling you, SS is the only way to go with your setup. If you don't want to buy one, then you might as well start parting out your motor since you won't be needed items like your blower. Here bud, this is the one number to answer all of your questions.
    949-631-2040 ask for Jack.
    HBjet
    F'ing Homo always looking for the cheapest deal. You skank!
    Haha!

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast