Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Batterys to use?

UHHH SUCKA
    Running about 3500 watts for the stereo system. My dumd a-- just realized I got 3 starting battery's 1 for the engine and 2 for the stereo and finding that they tend to drain fairly quickly because obviously they are not made for long periods of use. Need to make a change either to a pair of 6 volt golf cart batterys or 2 good deep cycles. Which ones will be better for stereo use?

Jordy
    I just dumped 3 blue top Optimas in favor of a pair of 6 volts. The Optimas used to be good for about 5 hours and then start to cut out. The 2 Trojan 6 volts played for about 7 hours on KILL on Sunday and never missed a beat. I've gotta say that I'm seeing the light on the dark side. Let the naysayers begin.

Tom Brown
    It's math, not voodoo.
    Blasphamy!
    I'd go with the golf cart batteries if wet cells don't bother you. You could also go with a couple of the big Odyssey 2150 batts or a huge 8D battery.

Jesster
    Hey Jordy,
    Which Trojans did you get and where? I take delivery of my boat on the 28th and have asked for the Odyssey 2150's at 249.00 each.
    Now you have me second guessing that decision and its not to late.
    At 75 pounds each the odysseys arent light but it looks olike some of the Trojans are monsters also. Anybody else have any input.

Tom Brown
    A pair of Odyssey 2150s will perform pretty much the same as the biggest golf cart batteries will and they're an AGM battery. I'd stick with the Odysseys, if you don't mind the expense.
    2 x 2150 Odysseys will put out 200 Ah of current. A pair of the best golf cart batteries will put out 225 Ah of current but I would be willing to wager the Odyssey batteries are conservatively rated, that being... they will all put out 200+ Ah, and the Trogans are probably optimistically rated, that being... few will get to 225 Ah (I've never seen a consumer grade battery that could deliver it's rated capacity). I'll bet they're about the same.
    It would be cool if someone were to cycle a set of the Trojans and Odysseys to see which really does have more power. It's all about the Watt hours.
    Someone bring me a set of each and I'd be more than pleased to test them.

Jordy
    Hey Jordy,
    Which Trojans did you get and where? I take delivery of my boat on the 28th and have asked for the Odyssey 2150's at 249.00 each.
    Now you have me second guessing that decision and its not to late.
    At 75 pounds each the odysseys arent light but it looks olike some of the Trojans are monsters also. Anybody else have any input.
    I went with the regular 6V Trojans. About the same size as a group 24 battery, but taller. They were also only about $100 a piece. I'm in Phoenix, so I can't really help you with a vendor, however, if you hit Froggystyle up on here he should be able to help you. I believe he also has some trick hold downs for them as well.

Jesster
    Thanks Jordy, My boat is actually in Phoenix at Extreme Marine I take delivery at the end of the month. Is there an isssue at all with them being wet cell batteries? The possibility of increased play time and them being 300.00 cheaper than the Odysseys are a big factor. The weight savings will only be about 20 pounds though. I have an IOTA DLS-55 charger will this work OK with the Trojans?
    Tom Brown, thanks for the input it makes me think I will probably stay with my current decision since the batts are included in the sale price.

sigepmock
    I've run both the 6V and the Odysseys and the performance was about the same, except that the 6V require maintence and the Odysseys were maintenance free. It amazing how fast a 6V will lose water in the Havasu heat. For the boats I'm only going to run the Odysseys because you put em in and forget them, on the Moho or toyhauler I'll run the 6V's.
    Just my $.02,
    Chris

Jordy
    Here is the dealer info based upon a central Phoenix zip code:
    http://www.trojan-battery.com/FindDe...?ZipCode=85009

Rocky
    Well Im thinking of going the 2-6volt way also. I have 3 group 24s one for starting wired to #1 on perko and two group 24s wired parallel to #2 on the perko for the stereo. Now my question is can I just swapp out my two 24s and wire the two 6v in series to the #2 perko switch? What if i forget to switch back over to the starting battery will I still be ok on motor and battery side of things (damage)?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast