Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest word on outlawing of 2-strokes.

sintax
    Hey guys.
    I was just wondering what the latest word was. I attempted to do some searching, but the most up to date info I could find was 2002-2003 vintage. My dad has an outboard and he was looking for some info as well. I see there are still tons of new boats getting wackers so it cant be THAT bad.
    Does anyone still follow this topic?
    -Scott

STV_Keith
    The info I have heard is that 2007 will be the last year they can sell a new 2-stroke outboard. The only place that has banned them is Lake Tahoe in the Reno area. I doubt many places would ban their use, and you'll be able to buy parts and use them for a long time.

sintax
    The info I have heard is that 2007 will be the last year they can sell a new 2-stroke outboard. The only place that has banned them is Lake Tahoe in the Reno area. I doubt many places would ban their use, and you'll be able to buy parts and use them for a long time.
    Good to hear that lakes are not going to be outlawing them. I think its pretty bad that they worry about the small amount of 2-stroke outboards. I think it would be a good way to get rid of all of the lake lice.
    -Scott

TCHB
    Yes 2007 is the magic year for two cycle products. As stated you will be able to buy parts as long as as the manufactures feel their is a market. With so many two cycle outboards out there I feel the parts market will last 20 years and others will start to manufacture spare parts like the VW guys.

sintax
    A while back I heard that they were talking about keeping all 2-strokes off of Powell and some other spots along the Colorado. I did know Tahoe was very against the 2-strokes....but what are the chances other lakes will try that in the next 2-5 yrs? I kinda think its slim....but there are these guys buying new DCB's (80-180k with wackers) that run the risk of being sent out the the ocean right?
    Just trying to get the full score.
    -Scott

Boatcop
    A while back I heard that they were talking about keeping all 2-strokes off of Powell and some other spots along the Colorado. I did know Tahoe was very against the 2-strokes....but what are the chances other lakes will try that in the next 2-5 yrs? I kinda think its slim....but there are these guys buying new DCB's (80-180k with wackers) that run the risk of being sent out the the ocean right?
    Just trying to get the full score.
    -Scott
    Tahoe is essentially a private lake, owned and operated by the local property owner's association/water District.
    As long as the bass fishing and PWC industry has an ear in Congress, don't look for outright 2 stroke bans on any Federal Waterways, although the National Parks may restrict them to certain areas as part of their overall management plans. It probably won't be that much different from the area management that exists now.

racer
    The law does not ban 2 stoke engines what it does is set limits on emissions, not on the technology used. The first was in 2001 in Ca (same 2006 federal) and then 2004 the standar got slightly tougher and again in 2008. The factories already have several compliant 2 strokes meeting this standard. This law limits a dealer to selling these compliant engines not in most where they can be used. I was at a recent dealer meeting that carb officals were measuring emissions on both 2 and 4 stroke outboards the 2008 compliant (now avaiable) 2 stroke was actually cleaner than the efi 4 stroke especially carbon monoxide when the 2 stroke was running next to the 4 the carbon monoxide was less. A by product of a 2 is very little carbon monoxide, at this time in the US marine engines do not have to meet this standard like in Europe starting I believe in 2006. They actually have less carbon monoxide than a cataletic converted 4 stroke and by a huge amount. Lake tahoe has actually gone to 2 stroke engines on their patrol boats.

Boatcop
    The law does not ban 2 stoke engines what it does is set limits on emissions, not on the technology used. The first was in 2001 in Ca (same 2006 federal) and then 2004 the standar got slightly tougher and again in 2008. The factories already have several compliant 2 strokes meeting this standard. This law limits a dealer to selling these compliant engines not in most where they can be used. I was at a recent dealer meeting that carb officals were measuring emissions on both 2 and 4 stroke outboards the 2008 compliant (now avaiable) 2 stroke was actually cleaner than the efi 4 stroke especially carbon monoxide when the 2 stroke was running next to the 4 the carbon monoxide was less. A by product of a 2 is very little carbon monoxide, at this time in the US marine engines do not have to meet this standard like in Europe starting I believe in 2006. They actually have less carbon monoxide than a cataletic converted 4 stroke and by a huge amount. Lake tahoe has actually gone to 2 stroke engines on their patrol boats.
    People can say what they want about Federal/State regulations, but that's what drives technology. We converted our patrol boats to Mercury Optimax 2006 compliant engines a few years ago and drastically cut our fuel usage. Power, torque and reliability are comparable, if not better than, the 225 Offshores we used to run.
    The upside to regulation and cleaner emissions standards is the fuel economy that goes along with it. It has also driven the "Big Two" (Merc and OMC) to develop high horsepower 4 stroke Outboards. If it wasn't for the emissions regulations, we'd still be using engines that spit and cough out over 25% of their fuel/oil mixture into the air and water. rather than getting 100% benefit from the fuel.
    Even though it's a touchy subject here, I think the same thing will happen with the noise issue. Manufacturers will begin putting efficient muffling systems on boats that don't rob the engine of power and/or speed. Rex Marine has already taken the lead in that market and has a product that can bring the noise level into specs, with little (if any) loss of power.
    The technology is there. It just takes a little kick in the butt to get it to market.

Krumbsnatcher
    The reason people run the two strokes is that they run on two strokes, yes less effiecient, but they run WOT all day long. Try running that on a 4 stroke..
    just .02

Essex502
    Even though it's a touchy subject here, I think the same thing will happen with the noise issue. Manufacturers will begin putting efficient muffling systems on boats that don't rob the engine of power and/or speed. Rex Marine has already taken the lead in that market and has a product that can bring the noise level into specs, with little (if any) loss of power.
    The technology is there. It just takes a little kick in the butt to get it to market.
    Even with LEGAL mufflers some boats are denied launching at Lake Havasu Marina. Unfairly and with discrimination I might add!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast