Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RE: The Big Bowl ShootOut

Slow Boat 001
    Subject: Re: The Big Bowl Shootout
    That article was written by Bob Zahner., He sells Ledgend and Berkeley parts. Take him to the drag races and make him prove it like we do. Do you think we would run something that was slower than we could have?
    However if you don't have much power, the Berkeley bowl works better because it makes more bowl pressure. But when you get power, you build too much bowl pressure and you'll start blowing out bowl and wedge gaskets.
    Also, the aggressor bowl works best with an aggressor impeller. The aggressor handles so much more water that you usually have to open up the nozzle. They didn't do that.
    Conclusion;100 to 400 hp---Berkeley
    400 to 600 hp--American Turbine-Dominator-Aggressor 11 vein
    600 to 1000 hp Aggressor 9 vein bowl
    1000 hp up Aggressor 7 vein bowl
    Which Aggressor bowl did they use?
    Your guess is as good as mine.
    Read`em and weep you asked for it and you got it.. Dont ask where this came from, it just came from the races ok ! www.worthingtonmotorsports.nasha.com (http://www.worthingtonmotorsports.nasha.com)

ChetCapoli
    You the man slowboat!
    I like guys who tell it like they see it! Actually i think that test was done by a normal lake guy who just wanted to do some testing at the time. Just so happens the intake setup was done by MPD,(The one who says berkeley has the best bowl right boys?) Maybe that's why the berk did the best!Then again, you dont win to many races spining 5000rpm! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

HBjet
    Chet, What made you switch from your berkeley bowl to the Aggressor on your lake boat and what difference did you notice? Also, can you tell us what kind of boat you have and power your using, if it's similar to mine and the results are that noticable, then I'm sold...
    HBjet
    PS. who does your pump work and how many boats do they sponser?
    Thanks

ChetCapoli
    Hey HBJet,
    I have a 18' Rally sport v bottom(delta pad) and i run a 522chev (estimate 650hp @ 6400rpm on pump gas)with a berk pump,factory berk JR (6deg) intake with shoe, aggressor "b" impeller, 9vien bowl with droop,wedge, and no place diverter. Best run was 80.2gps at 5700 with hockey stick hook in the bottom.(working on that as we speak). This year i'm going to a stock intake (4deg) with shoe and staightening the bottom and using a diverter. Been told to expect gains of at least 5 to 7mph,quite possibly 10mph(hopefully). If i can spin it up to 6400 maybe more? Who knows. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
    Did you read that Jet tech article a few years back about bowls? GS stated he saw gains of 2 to 4 tenths and up to 7mph in the quarter with the aggressor bowl/impellers if i remember correctly.
    I never really got a good baseline with a berk bowl because my pump(everything) was really messed up when i got the boat(maybe i should try it for the record eh?) I did though, put them side by side before i made my choice and studied them carefully....as i said before it's like a stock chevy HP head and a dart head, you can see the difference. As slowboat mentioned..if you got a stocker(100 to 400hp, under 5000rpms) maybe you wont notice(just like a dart head on a stock BBC)..but if you put the power to it and want to go fast(it's what we all want right?)aggressor is the way to go.
    as far as pump work, i do my own, i'm a hands on kinda guy who builds motors for a living. Most of what i learned about a jet though was from the local jet guy here in NY. (Ted, C.B.M.,(877)JET PUMP)
    Chet

HBjet
    Chet, sounds like a good setup. I would think your top speed would of been a little higher though, but as you said, the hook is pretty bad.
    I could see you getting a noticable difference when changing the bowls out if you had a messed up berk to begin with, I probably would of done the same thing. I'm sure I read the article GS did, but I'm going to read it again. (I have to dig through my old Hot Boats, oldest one I have is from 1989, volume XI, Number 9) That is my favorite issue, it features 3 California Performance jet boats, back when Hot Boat was for Hot Boats like all of ours. They should rename the mag "Hot $50,000+ Boat"
    HBjet
    Check out my site, I just updated it.
    http://home.socal.rr.com/boatbutts/boat.html
    [This message has been edited by HBjet (edited June 13, 2001).]

MellowYelloW
    hey hb jet...are you gonna be at echo this weekend...also who did your interior and how much was it...i need to have mine done badly. i will be at riverland this weekend.
    brian

HBjet
    Mellow, I won't be at the river this weekend, but I'll be there next. I think RiverDave is going to be there next weekend too. I must have a good digital camera, becuase I need to replace my interior over the winter. This will be it's last summer like this. I'm not sure where I'm going to go, but most shops can do boats. I've had friends do a chair at a time over the winter, so it's easier on their wallet. I might take my boat to Stich Craft. They do custom interiors for cars and trucks. I had my dually done there a long time ago, and I'm still very pleased. Cost a lot though...
    Good luck on your pump, and interior. Have a good weekend and give us a report on how it was out there. Last weekend, there was a Magic and Sleek regatta, so there was a lot of BIG boats, very choppy.
    HBjet

HBjet
    Slow Boat 001, is that your "Jet Hydro"? I was wondering, what speed are you getting out of that setup? I didn't see it posted on your website. I've never seen a setup like that racing, and I'm a bit curious. I know prop v-driven hydros run with their tail in the air keeping the sponsons in the water. They run very well and I was just wondering how well your boat handles since the tail needs to be in the water. Thanks!

Slow Boat 001
    He He Ha Ha
    [This message has been edited by Slow Boat 001 (edited January 29, 2002).]

Jim
    Slowboat this sunkist is a Hondo jet hydro,they came out in the seventies, Sanger had one first, ran it in blown fuel jet,it ran 130's but dangerous the boat, name was royal flush. the faster you go is this boat the more the front end comes down at about 90 it wants to submarine. the hull is the same as the prop hydro with a pod underneath for the jet, I would personaly look for a sunkist gullwing 18ft, you'll have more fun and go faster. Jim

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast