Thread: Is this too much cam for me???

Q-ball
    I have semi-decided on a Comp. Magnum cam with 230 duration at .050" and a 490" lift on both intake and exhaust. I'm running a 455 olds with 'G' heads, flat tops, 750 vac. secondary Holley, Torker manifold, H.E.I distributor, and Rewarder headers. The boat is a 1973 Wriedt 18' with a Berkley pump. I use the boat mainly for skiing and just cruzin'. I would rather stay away from having to go to expensive valvetrain mods and machine work. I know I'll need new spings no matter what. I just want to make sure I don't kill the motors ability to pull a 200lb. skier out of the hole. Thanks for any help.

MoJetBoPar
    Since nobody else has touched this one.....
    I'm no expert but, with those big cubes and 230 duration @ .050, I'd think you'd have a sweet set-up there. Good torque for outta the hole, use more mech. ign. advance, and a great top-end charge where jets need it (4500-5500) depending on your impeller of course.
    It's always smart to dial back a little on cam duration for torque and it seems like jets don't require much torque to jump on plane.

77charger
    not familiar with olds.the lift seems short for a 230@.50 cam i run a 248@.50 and it is a 590 lift.but i only know fords and bowties.that cam seems like decent numbers for an all around rig(cubic inch wise)whether it be,ford ,chevy,olds,dodge,.For your carb try a rear metering block and a spring change kit that will also help.

Infomaniac
    Q-Ball That cam sounds good for a boat that does not turn past 6,000 RPM. What is the lobe seperation angle. It should be 110 - 112

wsm9808
    I've got a 230@ .050 with 544 lift on 109 centers in my BBC 468 and it is very tame.
    Idels smooth and pulls my A impeller very well and top ends at 5200rpm. You wont set any speed records with it, but I feel it is a good all around cam for a mildly modifide engine.

Q-ball
    Infomaniac, yea they rate it at 2000-6000 rpm I don't really rev the engine even close to 6000 (with whatever cam it has now, I think it's stock, I can hold my foot to the floor all day long and it will only rev to 4200.)I'm really just looking to pick up some H.P. in the 2000-4500 maybe 5000 max. I just figured with the manifold a maching cam would help even if I don't push 6000. I almost forgot, yes the lobe separation is 110. 77charger thanks for the tip on the carb, I'll give it a try! Thanks everyone.

canuck1
    Sounds like a comp cams 280h. This will make lots of torque and pull hard to 5500 very easy on valve train too