Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tunnel Ram Carbs

ezstriper
    WHAT CARBS ARE YOU GUYS RUNNING ON TUNNEL RAMS ON FAIRLY MILD B/B CHEVY SETUPS, I'VE BEEN TRYING TO GET THE 600 EDELBROCKS TO WORK BUT STILL HAVING THEM GOING VERY LEAN AT OVER 5k JETTING WAY RICH(BY THEIR SPECS) AND PLENTY OF FUEL PRESSURE AT SPEED. ENGINE SHOULD TURN TO 6k WITH NO PROBLEM, GOES FLAT AT 5k AND THE PLUGS ARE SHOWING WAY LEAN AFTER A PASS, THANKS ROB

Danhercules
    I have a set of 750's. They seem to work well if kept dry!! :rollside:
    Give Ty at TPC a call, he will give you free info. 619-562-8307.

MikeF
    If it is a jet boat, you might only be able to get 5k out of the engine. I know you may want it to go to 6k, but it usually takes boost or c.i. and the right cam to get there. Either that, or cut down the impeller to a B/C.

Running a set of Holley 660 center squirters with mechanical secondaries. Got em used and they were in pretty tough shape. Had to rebuild em, and they worked great. I mounted mine sidesaddle. Added the secondary blocks and longer transfer tubes to jet all four corners. Started out with factory jetting and just made one jet change (two sizes up) to fatten em up some for the river.
    The only problem with em is, my fuel economy sucks. These carbs (I'm told) were designed primarily for drag racing and although they can be used on the street (lake/river boat), it takes a little work/massaging to make em more economical. In stock form, the secondaries are opening just off idle and they really suck the fuel that way. I'm going to make some modifications on em this winter to slow down the opening of the secondaries. Hopefully it'll cut down on the fuel consumption a bit.
    There are guys running the Edelbrocks successfully on their tunnelrams. I'm sure someone will post up here and let you know the in's and out's.
    http://www.jetheaven.us/photopost/da...19finished.jpg

If you have the secondary air bleed plates, I'd suggest removing them. If you don't have enough draw through the carb, the secondary plate will now travel past the veturie, which allows the venturie to deliver fuelto the secondary. If the plate does not fully open you WILL lean out. remove the plate and try it from there. I dont think the jet boats benifit from the plates, the are more for cars or boats and low end torque

Jim Brock
    I have a pair of 660 center squirters for sale $300.00 for the pair, Ji 818-890-1867 after 10am

Squirtin Thunder
    EZSTRIPPER,
    At this point I have no idea what two 600cfm Carters will do, RPM wise, but I have run a single 750cfm Carter and was able to turn 5300rpms. And it got there in a hurry. I have not yet secured a Tunnel Ram for my 466ci BBF but when I do I will be running two 750 Carters. I did how ever run a single 600 on the street on a 429 BBF. What I had to do to that carb was kind of odd, I just used stock jets but switched them around. I took and put the secondary jets in the primaries and primaries in the secondaies. In stock form the primaries are larger than the secondaries.
    Give that a shot it may help its cheep to try !!!!
    Jim

LakesOnly
    On the jet boat, 466 with Holley 660's
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...erhead-med.jpg
    Generally speaking, if you have standard 600 vacuum secondary carbs, it may be possible that you need more than two 600's at 5000 rpm. I may being upping my cam and going to a pair of 850 Center Squirters myself.
    LO

Heatseeker
    I'm running a set of 850 center squirters on my blown bbc. Like Squirtcha said above, they are primarily tunnel ram/drag carbs and they really suck the fuel. Lousy cruise mileage! When I got them, I was told by many that I couldn't run them on a blower deal. Ty at TPC covinced me otherwise(and taught me a couple of tricks) and they've ran flawlessly for 3 seasons on two different engines.
    I'm thinking of trying to put a set of referenced 850 DP carbs together to try and gain some fuel range.

ezstriper
    660's ARE A CONSIDERATION, FOR YOU GUYS TRYING TO GET SOME ECONOMY WITH THEM, A MOD WE DID YEARS AGO FOR RUNNING THEM ON THE STREET WAS TO NOTCH OUT THE SECONDARY OPENING CAM SO THEY OPENED LATER INSTEAD OF 1to1 WORKS PRETTY WELL, LOTS OF US WERE DOING THAT MANY YEARS AGO, THERE WAS EVEN A DIAGRHAM FROM HOLLEY ON THE MOD. I HAVE NOT DECIDED WITCH ROUTE I'M GOING TO GO, I DO KNOW THAT MAY ISSUE AT THIS POINT IS NOT THE IMPELLER ISSUE AS THIS THINGS PULLS HARD TO 5K GOES FLAT AND WILL EVEN START POPPING, STARTED MELTING THE PLUGS SLIGHTLY AFTER A PASS, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, ROB...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast