Thread: Ford/Lincoln Techs

Desert Rat
    Thought I would move this thread to west
    I have a question for a Lincoln tech if we have one on the boards. it concerns the factory alarm system on a 2000 Lincoln LS. Any help?? Any in the LA area?

randy77zt
    can you be specific about the problem?is it about the keys(there is a chip imbedded in the black plastic) or the remotes?i work as a ford dealer tech.from my experience its best not to wire an aftermarkit alarm on top of the ford system.if the ignition lock cylinder gets pulled with a slide hammer it wont start.the dealer has to program the keys into the car with a scan tool.my girlfriend's car has a extra key underneath the back seat so if she loses the keys she can have aaa slim jim it and still drive it.

Desert Rat
    No problem with the keys. I just picked up a used Lincoln LS for the wife and the dealer wants close to $900 to enable the alarm, something called skylock or close to that. The remote key fob will lock and unlock all doors , flash the parking lights, and cause the factory dash red LED to flash when set. It won't however enable the actual alarm. You can open a door thru an open window and the alarm will not go off and you can still start the car. I don't want to put in an aftermarket alarm if it is easy to enable the factory one. All I want is a basic alarm/starter disable with is already on the car from the factory as I understand. I want to try and keep the original fobs as they open the windows and moon roof too. Any easy way to program it? Any help is appreciated.

randy77zt
    never heard of skylock system-is it something dealer installed?the dealers try to sell stuff like this because it has a huge(300%) mark up.car dealers are snakes.the tech that works next to me has a ls.i can check with him but i really think this a dealer install type scam.kind of like a aftermarkit gm onstar system. my opinion is its best to leave the car as-is if you are happy with the way it works.

Here are some sites with LOTS of info on the Lincoln LS
    Lincoln LS Owners Club
    www.llsoc.com
    I am a member of this club and it has been a great experience.
    There is participation from Lincoln engineers.
    It is a paid membership but there is a 30 free trial and a huge amount of technical info in the archives there.
    Edmunds Forums
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?50@195.vbgbcWTrdjT.2@.eea34f2!make=Lincoln&mo del=LS&ed_makeindex=.eea34f2
    Flat Rate Tech
    http://flatratetech.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi
    I have used this to ask very specific maintenance and repair questions.
    Mechanics/techs will usually have some good answers.

Desert Rat
    Very good info Although there is no 30 day trial that i can see. There is some info to be had that is good to know

cola
    My Harley Supercrew f-150 alarm is the same way. I though it was just a pile of sh*t alarm. Does it just need to be activated.
    Late, Mike

Desert Rat
    Not sure. Can't get anything out of the F'N dealer thats why I'm asking here. They want to sell me thier version of lojack for $900. I told them thats why I have full coverage and no thanks. I can't believe a Lincoln LS with all the options doesn't have a alarm !?!http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/Si...ies/ne_nau.gif

wedge44
    Ok I'm in what type of security system is on my 02 f-350 lariat :hammerhea

randy77zt
    wedge 44-if its got a flat steel key it has no system at all.most f250/350 have no chip in the key.so if the ignition lock cylinder gets pulled with a slide hammer its drive it off with a screw driver.this is a good truck to put an alarm system on.