Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MSD alternatives???

WheelerDealer
    After reading about so many people having trouble with MSD ignition boxes in their jet boats it got me thinking if there were any good alternatives that were more reliable for engines in the 600+ horsepower range. Do any of y'all have any experience with other ignitions out there, and if so what were the results?

Sleek-Jet
    Can't go wrong with a magneto.
    You're going to find just as many people that have had bad experiances with the other ignitions as MSD. I have my own ideas why people have so much trouble with them, and it has nothing to do with the boxes.

lucky
    but i'm partial to mags -- d.u.i makes some good hei's for all makes

BrendellaJet
    If you ahven't heard of the MSD failures, you haven't been reading all the threads. There have been atleast 10 that I have read about this year or know of personally. I asked Dave at DNE why I should shelve my DUI HEI in favor of an MSD considering the # of failures I have read about...
    He said "they make thousands of those things every year. There are gonna be a few that are bad for whatever reason."
    I reluctantly bought all new MSD parts, but you better beleive that Ill have a spare DUI thats ready to run should I have to...

Sleek-Jet
    DUI's are GM HEI's with all the hot parts in them, on bases for different motor's. So you could run an HEI on your Ford, or Mopar. I've heard they are good ignitions, but they don't have all the features of a MSD box and distributor set up.
    For the record, I have an MSD Pro-Billet HEI in my 85 GMC, and it's by far the best electronic ignition I've put on a vehicle. But really, it's just an HEI, only made out of better stuff.

BrendellaJet
    Considering the % of the ***boat market thats here(probably very small) 10 is a lot. Im hoping to get lucky. MSD will not like me if I dont have good luck with their product.
    The DUI kicked ass for me, but they dont have all of the same features, the features they do have are not packaged as neatly.

WheelerDealer
    Originally posted by:Sleek-Jet
    I have my own ideas why people have so much trouble with them, and it has nothing to do with the boxes.
    Please enlighten us...

Sleek-Jet
    Well, after looking at a lot of used low freeboard boats most have one thing in common, atrocious wiring. Bad grounds, horrible crimp connections, and just plain poor condition. The MSD style boxes require good solid connections, adequate wire guage, and a strong voltage source to work. If you aren't carefull on the install, the boxes are going to fail. Lot's of problems with these older boats can be traced to bad wiring.

WheelerDealer
    Makes sense to me.

I've got a MSD 6m2 at MSD now, it went up in smoke after four years of use maybe 150 hrs. I called them and told them what happened, they say send it in for repair. Got a recording on the machine at home...MSD saying it's not cost effective to repair. :argue: Last I knew they offered some sort of break on an exchange did'nt they?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast