Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Landlord Questions

Mrs. Restless22
    We have renters in our rental house that are reallllly flaky.
    Their first months rent check bounced, the second was fine, but there 3rd months was 10days late and also bounced.
    So my question is what actions can we take against them? Can we evict them even thought they signed a 1 year lease?
    Any help is appreciated :smile:

Sherpa
    what state is this house located-? calif laws are pretty strict on evictions.
    I've heard in AZ you can actually have someone evicted from a home completely in les than 18 days.......... we could use that kind of law here..
    --Sherpa

Mrs. Restless22
    Its in Ca.
    I really just want them out of there at this point, I dont want to deal with this CRAP!!!! :burningm:

Tequila-John
    Their first months rent check bounced, the second was fine, but there 3rd months was 10days late and also bounced.
    So my question is what actions can we take against them? Can we evict them even thought they signed a 1 year lease?
    I would first off send them a certified letter. In the letter state your unhappiness with there payment patterns. State the info about all 3 payments being crapping. I would add in the letter also "if there is any type of person problems that would keep from sending in valid or on time checks please let me know, I would like to help" Then lastly tell them take this letter as a warning that any further late or bounced checks received for rent will terminate the lease agreement, and evection proceedings will follow immediately

Mardonzi
    Renter's rights laws vary from state to state but there should be a provision in your lease agreement for this. As far as the bounced check, even though they gave the check to you, as long as it is drawn on insufficient funds, it is not considered a negotiable instrument, therefore, they never actually paid the rent and are liable for any late fees associated with it plus any penalties that your state or local goverment allows for compenstaition. As far as eviction,, that varies by local govts.
    We have a rental house in Northern Utah (yes, we are former Utards) and our first renters were the tenants from hell. They had a 2 year lease with us and only paid ontime once in 2 years. What we were doing was on the final day for rent to be paid (the 5th usually) if they didn't pay it, we served them with a 72 hour notice to pay or vacate. This usually did the trick. You can usually find these forms in the legal section of Office Max. By serving them with this form, you have started the paperwork trail to evict them. If that doesn't take care of the problem, contact your local courthouse and talk with one of the court clerks. by serving them with this form, you have started the paperwork trail to evict them. Good Luck!!

Keithb87
    In the future I would pay a property Managment firm their fee to not have the headache. You can also not accept checks from them for future rent payment. Demand Cash, Cashieers check, or money order.

Mrs. Restless22
    Thank you everyone.
    We've never had a rental property before so this is our first experience with it. Im almost thinking rental properties arent worth the headaches.. :hammerhea
    Thanks for the advice!

DEAL BROTHER
    Just my .02 but I believe in the future you should not let the renters know that you are the actual property owner. Pretend as if you are a management company which, in a sense, you are. Then tell them that you are doing all you can to help them but that this property owner is a real hardass, he is also any attorney, and will have you evicted immediately, just for fun, if you dont resolve this situation. He definately doesn't need your money but takes it very personally if you screw with him.

nodigg
    I have heard horror stories about evicting in California. I have rentals both in CA and AZ and have never had to evict until last week. AZ is SO QUICK! Just did my first one. Five day notice to vacate served by me, (form at Staples). Failed to vacate. Went to the court and found it would take five business days to get them both served with a court order and in for a court date. NO LAWYER! Awarded a judgment and restitution by the judge on the spot. If they are not out by today the constable will forcibly remove them. BAM! California needs to get on board!
    I think the thing to do is to go to the court house for the city and ask what you can do. They are VERY helpful in getting deadbeats out. Best of luck. Let us know how it turns out for you.
    Oh and as for those who use this sort of thing as the reason for not having rentals...Small price to pay for the incredible plus side of owning rental properties.

Lightning
    Thank you everyone.
    We've never had a rental property before so this is our first experience with it. Im almost thinking rental properties arent worth the headaches.. :hammerhea
    Thanks for the advice!
    I own rental property. I have found some good information on landlord.com about renters rights and owners rights. At this point you need to get them out of there. Did they sign a lease? Have you been enforcing the late pay fees in the lease? Sounds like it's time to give them the "pay up or get out" letter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast