Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine life

tbanzer
    I'm not as picky as a lot of people, but I have 4 hard racing seasons on a blown 540 and it still runs the same E.T. and MPH it did when new. I'd say it's seen about 200 full throttle passes under 10-15 lbs. boost and 7500 rpm. I tore it down a year ago, pretty much a waste of a gasket set. The bearings were flawless, no cylinder wear at all. Not to say that my environment compares to long hours under heavy load, but if the clearances are right and quality parts are in it, as long as the compression is up and plugs don't read oil consumption you are good for a long time, 300 hours at minimum.
    DJ
    Did you do a leakdown test before you tore it down? Thanks for your post.

Doin' Time
    Thanks That was really helpfull.
    sorry banzer...but a blown 540 and you want 750 h.p.?
    in my opinion that is a very easy and reasonable goal...and it should last a very long time before refreshening...make sure it has good components but most importantly have it or you put it together well and it should give you years of service....

Jim W
    Tbanzer,
    Check your PM's. I sent you one.
    Jim

tbanzer
    sorry banzer...but a blown 540 and you want 750 h.p.?
    in my opinion that is a very easy and reasonable goal...and it should last a very long time before refreshening...make sure it has good components but most importantly have it or you put it together well and it should give you years of service....
    That what Im looking for . Decent power, something that wont kill drives and last for years without being a timebomb.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12