Thread: droop snoot a must or?

W.O.T
    alright guys this is my first jet boat (mainevent5150's old boat) and looking for some good advice. the motor is being built at tom papp racing right now he said it will be in the ballpark of 600 hp when its done. heres a pic of the the pump and boat. will a droop be a wise investment and will it help performance enough to be worth it to do for this river season. thanks and once again im new to jets! no more outboards for me.
    http://myspace-861.vo.llnwd.net/0065...54248861_l.jpg
    http://myspace-676.vo.llnwd.net/0064...48395676_l.jpg

SmokinLowriderSS
    This may not look helpful, and folks who have used them will chime in I'm sure, but it all depends on whether that boat's setup has any use for the lift a droop generates. Some setups apreciate a droop and run faster, some respond better to a straight snoot. Probably best advice is get some good baseline data "as-is", then borrow one someone has laying arround and start the tuning process again, see if you can find a few MPH for free before droipping coin. Try the same with a straight snoot before buying either and you'll at least be happier you didn't buy something that turned out not to work for you. Good luck to ya.

lilrick
    Since you're already using one of the more well known names in the business,why not ask him???????

wright27
    I just finished my 78 Challenger. I had the pump done by Jack at MPD and he advised me to put a droop on my boat, he said these boats respond very well to a droop. This saturday will be the first time out in this boat so I will see just how well it works.

LUVNLIFE
    Your best bet is to ask Papp himself.

1968Droptop
    alright guys this is my first jet boat (mainevent5150's old boat) and looking for some good advice. thanks and once again im new to jets!
    I think Smokin is right, take it on some test runs first to get some base line #'s. It's all about test n tune.
    Is there by chance a local boat shop that can view your hull in person ? They may able to help you out better since they can see it first hand.

W.O.T
    yeah i emailed him the other day as the boat gets closer to being done ill make a trip to the shop to talk to him about it just wanted to hear some advice.

To just add when selecting a droop, there are a variety of manufactures now, each is slightly different in design. Berkeley has the hoizontal water straightener, AMT and Aggressor the straighener is vertical, and they come in long, medium and short.
    Sleek

your best bet is..if your gonna have 600 hp is to start with a ride plate and shoe, ask Tommy about it..he will set you up!! Nice boat BTW..
    Markist