Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dirt Bikes, Honda 450 KTM 525 or?

Screaming Pete
    Let me know what any of you peeps thinks and why
    thanks

jeepinscott
    The Hondas are having big valve problems. The call adjusting them 'regular maintenance' that needs to be done every 17 hrs.
    I have a YZF426, and would say choose blue over red!
    My buddy rides a KTM 525 SX and it is one hell of a bike. I will prolly buy one of them soon. Not as quick nor as fast as my yz, but it is taller and runs well. It has great fit and finish as compared to the jap bikes. My $.02

OGShocker
    Let me know what any of you peeps thinks and why
    thanks
    What kind of riding?
    I ride a 650R. I like it a lot for the High Desert. The 450, is ReAl tweeky were the 650 has a smoother power band. The 650 would suck for any technical type riding.

SoCalHD
    I have an 02' CRF450 and my neighbor has an 02 YZF426. We both have well over 150 hrs on our bikes. Both have been totally reliable. The Honda has suffered from valve issues, but it seems to be more related to user than bike I think. I have checked my clearances several times, and my valves have been spot on. I am also one of those people that actually maintain my bike like you are supposed to i.e. I clean/change the air fliter every time I ride the bike, and change the engine and tranny oils every 3-4 rides. I also ride desert and trails for the most part, so I don't rev the piss out of my bike. My opinion is(for what it is worth) that most issues that people are having with these new 4-strokes are that they are not like the 2-strokes they came off of. More maintainence and attention to detail is required, as well as a different style of riding. You rev a 2-stroke, you don't rev a 4-stroke. Whew!! All that to say-find what you like, what fits you as far as egro's are concerned, and have fun!!!

faster
    WR450 for me!!!!

Captain Dan
    Haven't seen or heard of any valve problems with the Honda 450. I own an '04, and my riding buddy rode the hell out of his '02 prior to getting his '04 -no valve problems in the bunch.
    The KTM is a great bike, but they are very proud of them - it would have been hard for me to justify spending $9k on dirt bike - if you can, go for it. Parts and ease of getting parts may also be an issue, at least more so than Honda.
    On the other hand, I really like my 450, it's easy to ride and very forgiving. It handles great and wheelies in every gear. I'm going to regear the bike for desert.
    Have a look at the 450X - it has a headlight, WR transmission and electric start, and from what I read, very little was added in weight. If they had that bike out last year, I probably would have bought that one since I mostly ride desert.
    Good Luck.

Second "PLACE"
    I would have to say it all depends on the application that you want to use it for.....ie desert, motocross, trails. Each bike has great qualities no doubt.
    I currently have the 02 WR450 (w/a CA. lic plate), 03 CRF450, and have spent about 200 hours testing the KTM off road. Each bike is an excellent choice. If I was to choose a bike for motocross, the Honda CRF is my favorite. Nothing against the other 2, the Honda just handles better, and has great tractable power on a motocross track. It DOES need quite a few mods to make it a reasonable desert racer though. This can be costly.
    The WR450 hands down is my choice off road for desert/long distance reliablity. I race everything from BAJA to local D-37, and this bike takes EVERYTHING I give it, and THEN some. Simple maintenance is all that is needed. My reason for the CA. lic. plate is to simply ride the "no green sticker" areas that we USED TO be able to access! (that's a whole different issue).
    The KTM is a great bike as well, but in my opinion underpowered compared to the other 2 mentioned machines. It handles very well and looks great, but just like a German car, is EXPENSIVE to maintain. More frequent service is required on this bike as well.
    With that being said, any of the 3 would be a great choice, and I don't want to sound biased. Good luck in the hunt.

montyawards
    The Hondas are having big valve problems. The call adjusting them 'regular maintenance' that needs to be done every 17 hrs.
    I haven't had one problem with the valves on my 03 CRF. And I ride about once a week. I have had it at the dealer just to service the valves after the first 10 hrs or so, and haven't had a single problem after that.
    You can't go wrong with the Honda. However KTMs offer electric start. A little heavy but worth it if you trail ride.

Captain Dan
    Hey "Second Place"
    What are some inexpensive mods for the Honda 450 that you would recommend for desert?

Screaming Pete
    WoW great reply's guys I'll be ridding mostly desert and about 1/2 the time with the family, anymore thoughts would be great.. wr450? I'll look into that also.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast