Thread: question for the merc experts

superdave013
    Ok, look at this oil filter. It's upside down. My question is:::
    Is there some kind of check valve to keep the oil from draining out when it's not running. I was told in another thead that the no mess way of chaning them is to poke a hole in the end of the filter and let it drain for a bit.
    I guess i'm missing it as it seems like it would just drain anyway.
    So, school me up please.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...2051motors.JPG

spectras only
    SD, poking a hole in the filter is a good way if you want to remove the filter immediately after a run. I usually wait ca 20 minutes before spinning the filter off. The filter never drains completely ,so a few drops here and there ,nothing major that a rag couldn't fix .Maybe some peeps have different experiences

superdave013
    That's not really my question. Let me try again. When I put a fitler on my engines I fill them up with oil so I don't dry start it. Seems like every time the above engines are fired they have to fill the filter before the mains see any. What's up with that? That's why I thought there was some type of check valve to keep them from draining.

spectras only
    I fill the filter to the rim with oil , let it settle and add more until the level stays . Turn the filter upside down waiting until it stops draining and install. Having a prelube system is best , maybe I'll invest in that in the future. Wonder if there's any warranty issues about improper filter changes by DIY owners . I know only Mr Lube's oil changes are warranted by manufacturers for newer cars around here.

75spectra
    Merc "says" just put them on empty as they will fill up quite fast and this wont cause any damage. Prefilling you filter is really not nessary. As far as draining it for a change, poke a hole in the top and let-er drain awhile.
    Your mains have oil, you just dont see pressure yet. Pressure should build in just a few seconds. I seen merc do a test on a engine years ago and run it without oil, it ran for a long time until the noise from the collapsed lifters was so loud it was unreal. Add oil & restart noise went away and no pressure loss. Motor ran for about 4 minutes with no oil at all.

Bob Hostetter
    That is the way Mercury is setting up all the oil filters on the BBC's now. They don't seem to drain down very fast, but have no idea if there is a check valve in the return line.
    Considering how easy it would be for the Mercury to flip them right side up, it seems kind of dumb to mount them that way................

NAMarine
    Depending on the filter you use, some if not most have a rubber checkvalve on the insde of the filter. If you look in the small holes surrounding the center hole you will see black. That is the check valve. You also don't need to prefill your filter. This is a rumor that started with no real backing other than is sounds good.

Jerrys59
    I fill the filter to the rim with oil , let it settle and add more until the level stays . Turn the filter upside down waiting until it stops draining and install. Having a prelube system is best , maybe I'll invest in that in the future. Wonder if there's any warranty issues about improper filter changes by DIY owners . I know only Mr Lube's oil changes are warranted by manufacturers for newer cars around here.
    Convert it to remote oil filters.....

GofastRacer
    Convert it to remote oil filters.....
    I sure would!...

spectras only
    Convert it to remote oil filters..... with twin engines , 3 huge batts, 4 trimpumps and 8' beam I have no more room to squeeze any more stuff in the engine room :wink: . I know merc says just spin on dry and don't worry about it