Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody give a spit?

Stranger
    Quit my job Tuesday.
    Told the boss, "You don't like me, and I dont't like you!; I'm leavin'"
    Left him sputtering like a FAT CARB.
    Co-worker said, "That was classic dude, I wish I had the cajones to so that."
    Bad thing is, the Jet has to wait a few months. Ain't that a bitch!!!

DEL51
    Stranger,I did that in July.Guy was pissed that I grabbed 2 blades for the sawzall.I was cutting up a 42ft deck plug.I was supposed to wait till I burned out the first blade before i fetched another.This was also a 5 minute notice.Some guys will never be a good boss, no matter how long they practice.He cowered once I confronted him.Had I confronted him earlier, maybe I would be still working there.Glad I left that that DUMP!

superdave013
    Well, they have the right to fire you so I guess you have the right to fire them also! It would be fun to tell an employer that "I'm real sorry but I have to let you go!" I like everything about my job except the pok (puke owner's kid). But I'm not quitting because of that lil bastard! Good luck as times are getting tougher these days.

Wet Dream
    In all honesty, I hate my job with a passion, but the more and more I hear about job lay-offs and cutbacks and the unemployment rate rising, the more and more I am glad I have my job, even though it sucks the big dick. In time it will get better and I can make a move, but with the unstability these days, I can't budge.

Kwicherbichen
    I know the feeling fellas. I have been trying to move on for a while.

Cas
    I did the "take this job and shove it thing" back in 1979, boy it felt good! I was a mechanic at a Firestone store and 3 of the other guys called in "sick", it was the first hot weather weekend of the year. The office people took in about 5 tune ups, 7 sets of tires including 6 on a motor home along with a few alignments. Most of the customers were getting rather aggitated that things were taking so long because of the lack of help. I went in to the office and asked the manager and the 2 asst's if they could give me a hand, they said it wasn't their job. I said, "It's not mine either so I guess you guys need to get off your a$$'s and help these customers." I then went out, backed my car into one of the bays, nabbed my top box and left.
    22 years later, I work long hours, I don't get enough time off, no paid vacations, and once in a while I'm underpaid.....sometimes I truly dislike being in business for myself.

wsm9808
    Just got back into jet boating a couple of years ago. Spent the last 6yr building my business. It was worth it though, now I can afford to do and have way more than I ever could before. And it all started because of crap from an old boss....We were slow at my old job, the jerk had me scrubing the walls for "busy work", I was on top of a latter just-a singing and-a scrubbing when he comes up and bitches me out for being a smart-ass. He actually thought I was making fun of him because I wasnt pissed about cleaning walls.Anyway, after he diclined my invatation to step outside for friendly asswhoopin, I loaded up my tools and gave him my honest opinion of him,if you know what I mean. A few months later I borrowed a couple hundred thou and opened up my own machine shop. Best thing that ever happened to me. Good luck

Tough times alright. I've been working for the same company for twelve years and really like my job. We recently sold out to a bigger outfit. Not sure what the future holds but, the company that bought us is known for it's "strip it to the bones tactics". Thankfully the boat is paid off. Unfortunately I just bought a new truck and paid too much for it. Shoulda kept my old blazer with 187,000 miles on it. Everything had been replaced on it, and it was paid for. Just picked up a new dirt bike prior to hearing about the take over too. Nobody's safe these days. I figured for sure that with a company that hasn't laid off a tech in 20 some years, I'd be o.k.
    Maybe not!

burbanite
    I have always said that I have never worked a day in my life, in my business it's about passion for all that you do, if you don't have it then you just disappear, kind of a natural selection process.
    Having said that, when things get really tough like they possibly could soon ours is a business that people can do without......
    Hang in fellas and be around for the long term. There is more boating to be done!

Cas
    I guess I should have put that little sarcastic face after my last comment, actually, I thought I did.
    Anyway, I too like being in business for myself. I spent about 4 years building the business and like wsm said, it was all worth it. It paid off veery nicely in the long run up until last year when I decided to up and move leaving all my contacts behind.
    I'm now rebuilding my remodeling business in a totally new area and the way I figure it, I did it once so doing it again will be a breeze. So far it has been, I already have a 8 month backlog for work.
    hey msn, a machine shop huh? where are you located and what kind of machining?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast