Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kobe for MVP

KineticoH20
    i'm sure there are plenty haters, but this is ESPN's pick and reason why for MVP. i MUST SAY HE HIT IT RIGHT ON THE HEAD.
    1. Kobe Bryant
    You don't know how much this kills me. Actually, you probably do. But Mamba passes all three MVP questions ...
    Question No. 1: When remembering this season 10 years from now, which player will pop into your head first?
    Answer: Kobe. The dude scored 62 in three quarters against Dallas, then 81 against Toronto a few weeks later. He's about to become the fifth player in NBA history to average 35 points a game (along with Wilt, MJ, Elgin and Rick Barry). He made up with Shaq. He made up with Phil. He made up with Nike. He appeared on the cover of Slam Magazine with a Mamba snake wrapped around him. He did everything but make the obligatory cameo on "Will and Grace." No player took more abuse from writers, broadcasters and radio hosts this season, but Kobe seemed to feed off that negative energy. It was almost Bondsian. And just when it kept seeming like he might wear down, he'd toss up another 50 just to keep you on your toes. Kobe was relentless. That's the best way to describe him this season.
    Question No. 2: In the proverbial giant pickup game with every NBA player waiting to play, who would be the first player picked this season?
    Answer: Kobe. He's the best all-around player in the league, the best scorer, the best competitor, and the one guy who terrifies everyone else. Plus, if you DIDN'T pick him, he would make it his mission to haunt you on the other team.
    Question No. 3: If you replaced every MVP candidate with a decent player at their position for the entire season, what would be the effect on their teams' records?
    Answer: If you replaced Kobe with a decent 2-guard (someone like Jamal Crawford) for the entire 2005-06 Lakers season, they would have won between 15 and 20 games. I can say that in complete confidence. Terrible team. When Smush Parker and Kwame Brown are your third- and fourth-best players, you shouldn't even be allowed to watch the playoffs on TV. Throw Kobe in the mix and they're headed for 45 wins. So he's been worth 25 victories for them. Minimum.
    In a weird way, Kobe ended up getting what he always wanted: The Lakers completely revolve around him. He gets to shoot 25-30 times per game. He gets to take every big shot at crunch-time. He gets all the credit. Nobody else on the team dares to challenge him. And even better, because he lucked out with the only possible coach who could make this cockamamie situation work, his supporting cast kills itself to make him look good.
    Basically, he's Elvis and everyone else is Joe Esposito. And it's working! That's the crazy thing.
    Now they're a sleeper in the West -- seriously, do you think Phoenix wants any part of them in Round 1? -- and have the only player in the league who can win a playoff series by himself. He's the Black Mamba, he's Kobe Bryant, he's the 2006 MVP, and since we finally have that settled, I will now light myself on fire.
    Bill Simmons writes two columns per week for Page 2 and ESPN The Magazine. You can reach his Sports Guy's World site here. His book "Now I Can Die In Peace" is available on Amazon.com and in bookstores everywhere.

dmontzsta
    I couldnt agree more.

Phat Daddy
    I also agree....... I also bet it's going to get a little ugly in this thread :hammer2: .

KineticoH20
    I also agree....... I also bet it's going to get a little ugly in this thread :hammer2: .
    LMAO...it wouldn't be ***boat if it didn't :argue:

Cole Trickle
    I agree....
    He had a hell of a year and it will be interesting to see what they do with the extra cap room come off season.
    Tim Duncan would look great in Purple and Gold :crossx:

KineticoH20
    I agree....
    He had a hell of a year and it will be interesting to see what they do with the extra cap room come off season.
    You and me both, we need to get that 15mil from grant back, Slava, devon etc... ooooh thats alot of cap money, I can't wait to see what Dr Buss and his new son inlaw phil can come up with to battle San Antonio.

SCUBA STEVE
    I agree....
    I would love to see KG with the lakers. I think KG is just a taller Kobe. KG is relentless!
    As far as Kobe for MVP sure why not! lol

Cole Trickle
    I would love to see KG with the lakers. I think KG is just a taller Kobe. KG is relentless!
    As far as Kobe for MVP sure why not! lol
    I think KG is a great player.
    I am not 100% sure he would be a good mix with Kobe but I could be wrong.(Early in his career I would say no way but now he might be ok with winning and getting 20/10)

Phat Daddy
    LMAO...it wouldn't be ***boat if it didn't :argue:
    You got that right. :rollside:

SCUBA STEVE
    I think KG is a great player.
    I am not 100% sure he would be a good mix with Kobe but I could be wrong.(Early in his career I would say no way but now he might be ok with winning and getting 20/10)
    Everytime I see KG loose in the play offs it kills me because of his effort he puts in. (not this year lol)
    You are right early, no way but know that both Kobe & KG are older I think they can tear up the league!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast