Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about twin turbo's

Woodster
    Ok this isnt boat related but im hoping u guys can help me out..I have a new Sandcar on order and im trying to decide on an engine package..Ive narrowed it down to 2 choices.. One is a normally aspirated Chevy Ls1 with around 500Hp... Here are the specs
    5.7 Ltr. 500 H.P.(pump gas)
    V8, Aluminum Block, Aluminum Heads
    480 ft. lbs. Torque
    Custom Ported Cylinder Head
    Retainers, Valves, Springs
    A.S.A Race Camshaft
    High Ratio Rockers
    Double Roller Timing Chain With Billet
    Gears
    ARP Rod Bolts and Manley Push Rods
    Corvette Intake Manifold
    Or I can go with a twin turbo chevy..Its a 5.3L though
    Aluminum Block Twin Turbo
    625 Horsepower
    645 Ft. Lbs. Torque
    V8, Aluminum Block
    Aluminum Heads
    Plus:
    Intercooler
    A.R.P Head Bolts
    ARP Rod Bolts
    My question is, are Turbo engines reliable and can I expect a few good seasons out of it?? What about maintanence? Are there any issues I should know about? Anything u guys can think of would help me out alot. Ive never owned anything thats turboed so I dont really have any clue about it..Thanks for any help!

Jordy
    Much like the boating world, the more power you throw at it, the more incidents you're going to have down the road. At 500 hp you should already be planning on a Mendeola tranny if you want it to last. They're pretty much the #6 drive of the sand world. I would think 500 hp would be a blast without having to worry about the turbos and all the accessories that go along with that system. Not to mention, with that extra 125 hp, it's more wear and tear on the rest of your drivetrain. If I were doing it, I'd go with the 500 hp N/A engine and be done with it. Blown up transmissions and CV joints aren't my idea of fun when you're out in the sand. Pretty much all the guys I go to the dunes with ditched their old turbo rotary monsters in favor of the very engine you're talking about. Now they can dune all weekend and just put gas in it. Before, there was always one or two cars down, even with the big Mendeolas and huge CV's.
    Just my $.02

lucky
    i'd go with the natural - since your in the sand - turbos' get expensive

cdog
    Not to mention to make that kind of HP in those engines you have a moderate amount of compression. Turbo engines need low compression. The turbos would be a waist on a 10.5.1 engine. You would more likely need 8-9. Or a big AC unit for the intercooler.

Woodster
    Thanks for the replies..The car is getting a Mendeola S4 which is a sequential shift tranny..Another words its shifts like my dirtbike..Its rated to 900hp so im not to worried about that..Also getting 934 race cv's so im not really worried there either..I guess you guys are right though, the 500HP N/A would be pretty worry free..The turbo engine comes with a big ass inercooler as well..

Woodster
    Anybody else have any input?? Heres a 3rd option I can go with as well..Are the Magna superchargers any good?? It has a built in inercooler as well
    5.7 Ltr. 530 H.P.(pump gas)
    V8, Aluminum Block, Aluminum Heads
    575 ft. lbs. Torque
    Plus
    Magnacharger
    Supercharger/intercooler
    GM Hi-Performance Cam and Springs
    Double Roller Timing Chain With Billet
    Gears
    ARP Rod Bolts, Head Bolts and
    Heavy Duty Push Rods

Mrs CP 19
    We have twin turbo in the boat. The engine was specifically built for the turbo set up. As mentioned...you need low compression, should be 7 or 8 to one. NO MORE. also, our cam is a turbo specific cam. Also, we will have our engine gone thru as preventive maintenance every winter at about $2500.00. It's an expensive set up and worth the extra maintenance. Don't forget about turbo lag...natural aspirated will give you more instant power. Good luck...Jill

wsuwrhr
    The gearbox is the key, and yours no doubt the the Ferarri of the bunch. I think it shifts a little "clunky", but that is just the way it is. Very cool gearbox.
    I have a custumer with that same gearbox with 572 bolted to it, and it works perfect, another has a Fortin of the same design with a torque converter and a NA LS1 bolted to it, it your exact combination of hardware, but I think he is running the truck manifold, the ASA cam sure makes that BadBoy lope. We installed the drivetrain in a Funco, and he headed off to Glamis Friday.
    Depending on the weight of the car, NA 500hp would be plenty of power. Trust me, it wasn't long ago that a turbo'd VW with 300 hp was enough to get around the sand. Drive the car, get used to it, and if you want to go bigger, you can always sell the motor and step up the power.
    Brian

Unchained
    I hadn't heard of the Mendeola transaxle so I looked up the web site.
    I guess things have changed some since I ran the dunes and sand drags.
    I'm amazed that someone would pay over 10k for a transmission.
    Judging from the picture it looks like a glorified VW trans.

Woodster
    Ya actually your pretty right..I couldnt belive the trannies are that much either..But when your running this much HP and tourqe with a transaxle it dosent leave me much choice..Next best option would be a Fortin or Albins tranny..Those run around 14-16k.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast