Thread: fuel on paint....

DickDanger
    Hopefully someone has some good info here. A bit of fuel dripped out of one of the fuel caps, and onto my paint. It is right in the silver metal flake of the boat. You can see a bit of yellow discoloration in the silver, and I have tried waxing it out. Although barely visible, it still pisses me off. Any ideas on how to get it out??? Thanks a bunch. -Dick Danger out

wsm9808
    Mine does that every time I fill up or trailer it with a lot of fuel. Body shop paint supply stores sell a real fine buffing compound you can rub on by hand with a damp rag. It takes the stain right off of mine and does not scrach it a bit. If the stain has been there for a long time you might have to use a power buffer. I keep it good and waxed around the filler to help protect against fuel damage to the gell coat.

Jungle Boy
    Try Spray Nine cleaner. It takes the yellow staining off my boat and it doesn't harm the paint any. It works good for the black carbon on the transom too.

ilikemtopless
    I would use a mild rubbing compond, but be carefull. A little goes a long ways and if you leave it on to long or rub to hard you can damage the paint.
    Another helpfull tip that works real good to get rid of the lime build-up on your pump or out-drive is toilet bowl cleaner. Just spray it on and imedeatly rinse it off. I wouldn't recommend this on your paint but can safely be used on pumps or out-drives cause most of them are powder coated.
    see ya at the river!

DickDanger
    wsm, do you know the name of this stuff? Let me know if you do. Thanks a bunch. -Dick Danger out

1quickjet
    Finesse-it by 3M has worked well for me. It doesn't take much. They also make it in a marine version, but that just means its more expensive, its the same stuff. Perfect-it is a finer compound you can follow it up with. I don't find it necessary on the boat though, I just stick some wax on top of it. Just be thankful they don't make fuel the way they used to (I guess), just ask any old boat racer what that old Moroso race fuel used to do to gelcoats. You could spot a dragboat a mile away by the permanent yellow stains around the fuel fills!

wsm9808
    The stuff I've got right now is 3M microfinishing compound liquid, part # 06011. It is for a power buffer, but I use it by hand on little spots all the time.

DickDanger
    Guys, thanks a lot for the info. I will look at getting my hands on some of that. -Dick Danger out