Thread: Motor Swap ???

mykidsdaddy
    Just a quick ? My Son-in-law has an Eliminator Jet with a tired 455 Olds...He has a strong running, fresh 500 Caddy motor. Will they interchange or does he need a new bell housing? Also how about the headers? Thanks guys.

junkyardhunter
    the cad 500 has the BOP bolt pattern (buick,olds,ponitac)so it should bolt to your old bellhousing but I am not sure if you can reuse the drive shaft exhaust pattern is close to a big block chevy so you have to cut off some chevy headers and weld the cad flange on it.also take a look @ this web site lots of info
    http://www.cad500parts.com/

Beer-30
    Don't run the rpm up very high. The 4.5 stroke Cadi crank is actually heavier than a 455 crank, if anyone thought that was possible.

Mighty Thor
    It isn't that you can't use the caddy, but without a quite a bit of engine work they don't live at the higher RPM's that most boats run. Caddy's are torque monsters and in an auto situation you can use gearing to take advantage of all that the caddy has to offer. In a boat you are a lot more limited. Header wise you are not gonna find much that is specifically for the Cad. Custom stuff mostly. You can use adapter plates and run big block chev headers. Water lines could also be interesting depending on what kind of setup you are putting this in. Most people, after considering the cost of all of the special pieces just opt to rebuild the Olds. They are proven performers in boat applications.

Glencoe MiniDay
    I would hope to only see this on an airboat on the glades in Florida
    The journals of the crank are also quite a bit larger than the olds as well.
    Larger journals= more surface speed on the bearings as well.
    search for Cadmotorsports Developement.
    For parts I think they have kits for boats and they turn the crank down to reduce the surface speed of the journals.
    They also have header flanges for the BBC conversion.
    Good luck on the search.

mykidsdaddy
    Thanks for all the input. I think its rebuild time. Hopefully we can get it done before Memorial day weekend.