Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drag boat racing

MellowYelloW
    hey guys...i just got done reading all that B.S. in the race boat forum. any way i live in southern cali and i was wondering what it takes to get into drag boat racing. is there a recreation class for beginners? dont know if i want to get fully into it but i would like to try it. Also i may have a chance to get a aluminum river boat, everything but motor. 19' good shape. anyone have any opinions on that?
    thanks.
    Please dont make this a trash forum.
    Brian

Jetmugg
    No B.S. - I like the aluminum riverboats. They are actually somewhat popular as fishing boats in my home state of Missouri. People use them to run in shallow rivers and get to fish that prop boats cannot get to. Most of them are fairly mild in the engine department, but there is nothing to keep them from being built as strong as someone's wallet will allow.
    Steve M.

Robbie Racer
    Hey Mello, you are in luck being from So. Calif and wanting to try drag boat racing. The IHBA has a race coming up at Castaic on Sept. 28-30th. They have a river racer class where you can dial in the handicap of what ever your boat runs so you can be competitive. Also the NJBA has a couple more drag races in Bakersfield at Lake Ming on Sept. 22nd-23rd and again on Oct. 19-21st. They have a one time entry level deal for river racers for $50 or $60. Hope to see you there.

timitunnel
    If you realy want to know what is ment by "balls bigger than brains" go for the river boat! I have a tunnel lake boat and enjoy it but the river thing is adictive and real hairy. Went for a ride once. What ever you do have fun be safe and enjoy the ride.

MellowYelloW
    Thanks guys. robbie i think i will check out that thing at caistiac. sounds like fun. what type of safety gear is required? also about the river thing i think i am going to Grants Pass OR. next year for the rougue river boat races.. my cousin lives there and has been on me for a while to build one.
    thanks again
    Brian

mister460
    Check out the aluminium river race boat on www.gas-turbines.com (http://www.gas-turbines.com) It's pretty sweet. I guess they can handle a lot of power! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

MellowYelloW
    does any one know the safety requirments?
    thanks..also any opinions on the mallory unilite??

Dimarco Kid
    I hate Mallories! To be honest, my intake wasn't exactly lined up with the dist. hole in my block. It put pressure sideways on the dist. and would chew them up. 7 Unilites later, I bought a MSD. I didn't find out what was happening untill I decked my heads and noticed the dist hole. Fixed it, and still running the same MSD with NO problems. Granted, the hole was off, but the MSD STILL never broke with two years of use like that. Had it checked, it was a good as new. Proof for me.
    Dimarco Kid

My old Tahiti has a Unilite in it. It was there when I bought it in 84 and has never skipped a beat.

MellowYelloW
    i too would like to run a msd...but the unilite was a gift, my uncle ran it in his land cruiser and when he sold it (the cruiser) the guy had his own ignition, so my uncle gave me the unilite..what do the three wires hook up to...i am currently runing a pos points dist. so i guess any thing is better than that.
    thanks DK.
    brian
    also are you a aol user..if so IM me at volcomsnowman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast