Thread: Is What's On It As Important As What's In It?

Ion
    I was wondering how important gelcoat graphics were to potential new boat buyers. Is it as important as the boat maker's reputation for building fine quality boats or as important as the type of performance package one chose to power the boat? Are people getting kind of tired of seeing the same-old-same-old gelcoat graphics on the water? Where this is going...I am contemplating pitching a brand-spankin' new line of graphics to local boat makers. The look has never been attempted before on any boat I've seen...ever. Maybe there's a reason for that? The look would be based on the abstract expressionism era.

That Guy
    How about a sample to give us an idea as to what you mean?

Captain Dan
    Is it top secret or can we get a sneak peak?

Quality Time
    Good question. You may have noticed that a lot of the east coast builders use paint in lieu of gel coat for various reasons, but it gives future boat owners the ability to repaint to their liking. In addition, some boats are supporting vinyl graphics that can be peeled off and the new owner can create what they like. Both approaches also allow an existing owner to change graphics as they choose as well. Good luck with your new designs.

Havasu_Dreamin
    Difficult to answer as for me it's the whole package. Some graphics work good on one boat but look bad on another, differnt builder.

jdogginla
    I can tell you as a person that is buying their first large boat........The look is very important to me. One of the reason's I first started looking at Kachina was due to their one of a kind paint jobs. Also alot of boat for the money. I have also looked into Shockwave and Ultra. While they both make great boats.......If they are still neck and neck performance wise after I take my soon to be test rides, I will probably go with ULTRA due to the top notch gel work they do.
    So to finally answer the question...........YES appearance of the boat is very important. Just my .02

Boozer
    I can tell you as a person that is buying their first large boat........The look is very important to me. One of the reason's I first started looking at Kachina was due to their one of a kind paint jobs. Also alot of boat for the money. I have also looked into Shockwave and Ultra. While they both make great boats.......If they are still neck and neck performance wise after I take my soon to be test rides, I will probably go with ULTRA due to the top notch gel work they do.
    So to finally answer the question...........YES appearance of the boat is very important. Just my .02
    I got a 19' Bayliner I'll sell you. I'm going to send it down to the boys at Kachina and get it painted all nice and neat. There will be naked ladies, skulls, and demons all over it. Should run 50MPH on GPS at this elevation and turn key reliability. It can be yours for only 40K :jawdrop:
    F*ck quality its all about the look right? :yuk: