Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuse question

Jesster
    I'm buying the streetwires combo power and ground fused Dist block and am wondering about which fuses.
    If my Kickers are fused at 120 amps each (x2) and the PG is fused at 60 do I just make sure the total of the fuses in the Dist block are 300 amps or does the fuse in the streetwires block that the amps are getting their power from need to be 120, 120, 60?
    If so then the only option for fuses would be the ANL, correct?

phebus
    I'm buying the streetwires combo power and ground fused Dist block and am wondering about which fuses.
    If my Kickers are fused at 120 amps each (x2) and the PG is fused at 60 do I just make sure the total of the fuses in the Dist block are 300 amps or does the fuse in the streetwires block that the amps are getting their power from need to be 120, 120, 60?
    If so then the only option for fuses would be the ANL, correct?
    I bought the exact same fuse block, and went through the same thing. You need to fuse each amp individually for the max amp draw. I went AGU, because of there availability, but I believe you can go with the AFS also. I don't believe the Maxi fuses come in a large enough rating. Here is a link to the fuse blocks Streetwires (http://streetwires.com/products/fuse...oFuseBlock.cfm).
    I love the setup, really nice and clean.

phebus
    Just checked, you can only go with the AFS if you need to fuse for 120a. My amps (PG Xenon) had dual inputs for power and ground, so I was able to halve the amp ratings on my fuses.

Jesster
    Just checked, you can only go with the AFS if you need to fuse for 120a. My amps (PG Xenon) had dual inputs for power and ground, so I was able to halve the amp ratings on my fuses.
    I have one PG Xenon 600.1 and it only has 1 power and 1 ground input but it doesn't matter since it is just 60A anyway. Thanks for the info it is much appreciated.

Jesster
    Now on to the Main fuse/circuit breaker. If I am fusing it at the distribution block for 300A do I need to fuse/CB it to 300 close to the battery? Common sense says yes, but I cant find a 300 Amp Circuit breaker and wondered if it would pull that many amps anyway. So would I be alright with a 250 amp Circuit breaker. And if so Phebus, where did you get your 250 amp CB. I noticed you mentioned you had one in a post a while back.

phebus
    Again, same problem. I had to fuse for the total amperage draw, and I needed to do it within 18" of battery. I couldn't find a large enough breaker, so I went with a ANL fuse in a waterproof holder
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...53DSCN1489.JPG

Jesster
    Thanks again Phebus. The info on these forums is invaluable.

Havasu Hangin'
    The fuse protects the wire after it against a short (fire = bad).
    The main should be as close to the battery as allowable, since there will be nothing to protect the wire between it and the battery.

ROZ
    Never can have too much fusing..... I prefer doing what Phebus has done.. Large fuse (accomodating max current draw) near the battery, and the fused distribution.. Streetwires model is quite convenient since it houses the ground , too..
    Lotsa fusing, good....
    Fire, baaaaaaaad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast