Thread: jroos, quick question ; )

Hallett19
    easy question, how does a turbine make so much f'in' HP and tourque ???

jroos
    13k worth of rpm might have something to do with it. But I`m no engineer and a baby with very little knowledge of turbines.But I do remember that you know Al and that generally meens you are a guru on this subject.

Kiwi Legend Jetter
    A turbine is a totally different beast to an internal combustion engine. I guess the reason why they are so powerful is because they are a continuous (brayton) cycle engine. That is, there is not 4 cycles like in a normal engine. They are constantly producing power.
    Another reason may be the lack of moving parts, they don't drive any camshaft's or distibuters that rob horsepower.
    [This message has been edited by Kiwi Legend Jetter (edited January 18, 2002).]

fryzll
    Hey jroos, dont turbines use Erson cams and PCV valves to get that kind of H/P and torque? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif j/k, how have you been?
    Chris
    Part of the BRF contingent.

HAVNAFIT
    when doing a rebuild, do you need a special engine stand or can I roll it around on my RACE-BENCH? P.S. Aunt Jeami sez SCREW JROOS

Banshee
    Kiwi Legend is right on with his answer. The other thing I want to point out is that when somebody says that their internal combustion engine is making X amount of H.P. what they are really talking about is net horsepower not gross H.P. It takes power to make powerÂ…the more power you make the more power it takes to make it. The power that is used up making HP is then removed from the engine as heat, most of which is created by friction. Only under laboratory test conditions can the actual gross HP of an engine be measured. Though you will never be able to use much of that lost HP to propel your boat. An internal combustion engine uses power to move the pistons that are not on the compression stroke, to turn the camshaft, valve train and any internal or external engines accessories. Both turbine and internal combustion engines use up some power thru bearing loss. But most turbines only have two or three bearings.

jroos
    Correct on the friction from bearings. That and air itself are the two dominant friction characteristics with turbines that I know of. Yes, you can actually take smaller turbines and carry them to your bench, no stand required. Now, the ones used on the hovercraft are very large! Don`t think you can lift them by hand. No, don`t know of any camshaft, pistons, drivetrains, etc. in them. But I don`t know much about these engines. other than a fan compresses the air in a chamber sorta like a ram jet. I`m sure someone here will correct me. And yes, Erson Cams was workin` on a camshaft for turbines just before Super Shops went under. Damn, the aircraft and marine industries missed out on that one! Did Aunt Jeanie screw this up as well?
    Gotta love those BRF`s!
    PS: building a new bench, outa titanium/chromium with gold iridite accents! Gonna be nice!

jroos
    I do have a legit ? though. How can one calculate torque from a turbine if one can`t calculate torque past 5150? Is the formula just for internal combustion mills? I don`t think but if someone knows, please tell me. I was under the impression that a turbine makes power at high rpm`s.
    And to further the earlier reply, a rebuild: that`s the beauty of a turbine.