Thread: Pissed Off!

Bubbledeck2
    Is it just me, or does there seem to be a large number of idiots working as boat parts counter people?
    I needed a replacement steering cable for my boat. Two boat stores told me the cable was obsolete and not available. CP Performance said the cable was available for $170. I finally checked the Mercury website and found the cable for $129. I told CP Performance this and they refused to price match even though that's where THEY get the cables they sell for $170.
    Finally after discussing the price ($129) and furnishing them with the part number I order the cable from the local Merc dealer. Today I go to pick up the part and they decide the price is now $149. I nutted and got the cable for the originally agreed on price of $129. This may seem like trivial crap to many, but a guy gets frustrated after being jerked around for a month for something as simple as a steering cable.
    I always wondered what PWCers did for a living ... now I know, they're all boat parts counter people.

rstover1
    Im with you I dont even like auto parts people example I was looking for a starter simple 89 chevrolet pickup manual transmission. Now first I sat there for about five minutes waiting for the guy to get of the phone with his wife I assume (he said I love you when he hung up the phone)that or his gay lover. Anyway I tell him what I need he clicks on the computer and brings a starter up now I know what my starter looks like this one is nowhere close I said thats for an automatic trans mine is a manual. He replies with 'theres no difference ' I said I know there is a difference get your manager out here manager shows. He has some knowledge of parts and finds the right part number but he doesnt stock it so he'll have to order it. After some cussing and letting him know what I thought about his parts guy. I went down the road to napa and got one. I will never use that parts store again. Sorry to ramble but this happened yesterday and it pissed me off.Oh well I'm goin to the lake to cool off

HBjet
    I feel ya! When ever dealing with parts counter people (especially dealerships, except Connell Chevrolet for some reason) they never seen to find the right part. I'll even bring in a part, and they bring out another.....Whats up with that? I'm glad that dealerships now have the picture on the screen so at least you can look for yourself and then the counter person can write the number down and go get it for you. I needed to get a new spoiler light for a 92 Honda. I went to Honda and told them the year and everything, they came out with a smaller light. I had the parts guy come out to look at the car and he said that the spoiler is an Acura spoiler, and I need to go there. I went to Acura and they had 3 parts guys looking at it, scratching their heads wondering if they have that light. They really didn't tell me yes or no, just kinda walked off one by one. I then asked them and then they said they don't know, must be aftermarket. I went to a Wings West right by my work who makes all of these aftermarket wings for imports, they don't have a light for it either, and didn't know what type of spoiler it was either. I was like, ok, I guess I'm not going to get a new light. Two days later, I was in my truck waiting at a stop light, and sure enough, the Honda infront of me had the same spoiler and spoiler light, and it was the same body type as my Honda. So I went back to Honda, and told them that the spoiler is Honda, not Acura, they said oh! Looked it up and told me it costs $165.00 I told them forget it....All of that to running around for a light I don't really want to buy anymore. And to prove once again, parts guys don't know parts.
    Sorry for the long post, but this just happend to me a few days ago, so I needed to tell someone.
    HBjet

nitro557
    after managing a napa store for over ten years and now working in a marina running the parts dept for 4 years . i know its hard to find good parts people , im a jet boater and have owned flats and hydro v drives if you need help getting a part drop me a line i can get you lined up with what you need, check out my works website at pwmarina.com

Bubbledeck2
    Cable update ..
    I am installing the steering cable now. I read somewhere that you "round up" to the next foot when deciding on cable length. My old Rideguide cable was stamped 15'6", so I ordered the 16' cable as cables were listed in whole feet only. Do I get a 16' cable? Noooooooooooooooooooo, I get a cable stamped 16'6".
    Long story short, I now have a cable a foot longer than I need.
    Well, like she said, better too long than too short.

Hustler
    Hey bubbledeck2, do you know my wife? she say's that to me all the time,HAHAHA. now that just goes to show you how stupid these guy's really, they deal in these parts everyday and yet they seem to tell you these little details.
    Hustler